salrosa

Nov 28, 2006
I am looking at buying a 91 KDX 200. Bike does not run right now. The guy selling says it needs t have the KIPS replaced. After doing some research to see if it is worth buying I can not find the parts I need from any of the online stores or catalogs I have.
I am pretty confident that I can do the work after reading some of the articles. I have wrenched on a few two strokes in the past just not Kawasaki. Here are my questions:
Where can I get the parts to replace the KIPS and cost of parts?
The bike needs chain, front/rear sprocket and KIPS replaced. I can get it for $300. I don't mind doing the work but I don't want to sink a bunch of money into the bike either.

Thanks for any help with the KIPS.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
For some reason http://www.ronayers.com/ does not show any kdx older than 1992. I don't know how different '91 and '92 are.

I don't buy the seller's excuse. Even if KIPS is not working, the bike should still run, albeit poorly. KIPS increases the exhaust port time-area at high rpm. All 2-stroke power valves work this way. So if the power valve is stuck in the open position, it will cause poor low end performance. If it is stuck in the closed position, it will adversely impact high end. But still you ought to be able to get the engine fired up. Unless of course KIPS fell apart and dropped into the engine case, and subsequently caused lots of damage to other moving parts.

KDX200fromAUS

Jul 26, 2006
I have a 91 Australian model and have just replaced, piston rings, all kips valves, all bottom end seals and a new stator and ignition coils for just under $500au......the kips valves themselves were around $40 each and took about an hour to replace being my first time, I got the piston n ring kit for $99au. which wasa Wiseco 67mm big bore kit.......and Oh My God does this bike satisfy........obviously prices will vary where u are but just go to your local moty shop and order all parts required.

But as someone else said, the Kips valves not working WILL NOT stop the the bike from running, it just wont have too much grunt, first thing Id do is take the plug out n see if it has spark, if so....it is obviously a fuel/air/compression problem, which are all easily fixed..

Good luck mate.!

Top Bottom