joerickson

May 20, 2008
Hello, I'm looking into getting a dirtbike but dont really know whats best for me.

1) your physical size 6'1 130lbs (look to be around 150-160 in a year or so)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? moderate
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? wood trails, ditches, fields with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience? not on a bike, but many atv's
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes and yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? preferably Honda and 4 stroke, but open to suggestions
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? prefer to buy used but yes, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? around $1000, the less the better
10) Do you live in California? no, MN
11) Your age? 20
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
looking for a good starter bike that will last and I wont have to buy a new bike next year because I outgrow it

thanks for the help

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
At 6'1" you should be on a full size bike, so forget about the trail bikes such as a Yamaha TTR series. I would also expect a 20 year old to ride aggressive enough to warrant a MX bike over a "off road" model.

To get into your price range I would recommend a two stroke, probably 10 years old or so. A 125 two stroke would be a great bike for the type of riding you described. A 250 two stroke would be all the bike you would ever need or want, but the power would be a bit harder to handle until you gained some experience.

Rod

joerickson

May 20, 2008
What is really the difference between a MX bike vs. a off road bike? I ask because I am not interested in racing but do want to ride often on wooded trails.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
"Off Road" bikes are less expensive, like half the cost of a MX bike. Take note, however, you get what you pay for.

The "off road" bikes will usually have "detuned" engines, which have several desirable features as long as you don't need the power. The lower compression ratio will allow them to tolerate the low octane pump gas. They start easier and the engines generally are better behaved. You can pretty much get away with ignoring them. Sort of like your lawnmower.

"Off road" bikes are generally built a little lower to the ground, making them easier for shorter people. A typical MX bike will have a seat height of 38" compared to 34" on an "off road" model. That four inches can be a big deal if you are only 5 feet tall.

The big difference is in the suspension. An MX bike will have significantly more suspension travel, which is essential when you start hitting jumps. The off road models are typically heavier, and when combined with less suspension can really limit their handling in the rough.

A MX bike is built for racing purposes, and all frills are left out. No electric start, no headlight, no kickstand.

The engine on a MX bike will be "high performance". The higher compression ratio requires higher octane gas. The valve timing (four strokes) is established for the top end which can result in a rough idle and poor "lug" torque. Race built engines generally do not have a lot of margin built in, so you need to keep on top of the maintenance or face the probability of a major breakdown.

Rod

joerickson

May 20, 2008
Thanks for the information Rod. But to me it sounds like a MX bike will be more finicky than the offroad models. Overall I am looking for a low maintenance machine that will last for a couple of years. I am in college now and really want to start riding dirtbikes offroad, but dont have a whole lot of money to throw at it, so I mainly just want a decent bike that will last until I can buy a nice one after college. Sorry if this confused you, but do you know of any decent "off road" models that would fit my needs?

Again, I appreciate all the help from you guys (I'm lost at this). I would go to a dealer for help but all the ones around me just want to make a sale so I would like to have a decent idea before even trying one.

motoman880

Feb 2, 2007
In My Opion I Would Stay Away From The 07 Honda Crf I Have Not Been In Motocross But For About A Month Now But I Have Always Studed Bikes And The 07 Some Are Good And Some Are Crab Its Like Honda Made Every Other Bike Crap.......i Have A 1999 Yzf 400 And It Is Perfect I Would Realy Recomend Trying To Find One You Can Get Them Cheap Plus There R A All Around Bike I Ride Mine On The Track, Woods Even Put It Through A Few Mud Holes

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Examples of an "off road" bike would be a Yamaha TTR-230 or a Honda CRF-230F. The new MSRP on these bikes is around $3500, compared to around $6500 for a MX bike. Look for one a few years old to get down into your price range.

I still recommend that you look for a ten year old YZ-125. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick and then it will be a blast, and you won't be embarrased riding with your friends.

Rod

joerickson

May 20, 2008
Sounds like a plan rmc_older than dirt. I'll will begin my search for an older yz125.

Again thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

joerickson

May 20, 2008
Would a yz250 around the same year be a good choice? I ask because I found one close to me for $1000 and was wondering if it isnt a good choice for a first bike or if I should keep looking for a 125

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
A yz250 is a great choice. It will be quite a bit more powerful than the 125, but after 6 months of riding that 125 I think you would probably wish you had the 250. Just be smart your first few times out riding and don't hammer the throttle full open until you get used to the way the bike revs and behaves. Good luck with your hunt!

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Also, if you are really scared of the power of the 250 then I believe you can buy a throttle stop deveice or some kind of rev limiter that could keep it from kitting that top end, or just buy a heavy flywheel weight and install that. The flywheel weight will tame that engines hit down alot for you and also make it more forgiving when you get into low rpm situations making it harder for you to stall the engine. Then after you get used to the power with the flywheel weight and you want more snap, just take it off!

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
I would go with a used XR400. Its a 4 stroke and its bulletproof, with fairly low maintenance ( I believe) compared to alot of the other bikes people have suggested.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
jesse_54 said:
I would go with a used XR400. Its a 4 stroke and its bulletproof, with fairly low maintenance ( I believe) compared to alot of the other bikes people have suggested.

XR's are unbreakable, but very slow and REALLY heavy. They are very tuned down (which is what makes them really reliable and low maintenance) and the rest of the bike is just the same technology that has been used on the xr for the last 20 years. Not many upgrades have been made to that bike, but it works.

93YZproject

Sep 14, 2007
wake_rider said:
XR's are unbreakable, but very slow and REALLY heavy. They are very tuned down (which is what makes them really reliable and low maintenance) and the rest of the bike is just the same technology that has been used on the xr for the last 20 years. Not many upgrades have been made to that bike, but it works.

I have a Honda xr100r and wake_rider is right. I have had no problems with that bike at all. It's so tough that i had it underwater for about 1minute before it stalled. it is very slow and really heavy but great if your looking for something that is low maintenance and low price.

joerickson

May 20, 2008
I found a 2000 honda cr125r for $900. I havent called the guy yet, but in the add it says it has newly rebuilt front forks, new plastic, and good tires. Does this sound like a good deal and is it a good bike as far as ease of maintenance and reliability goes? Is this year prone to any major problems, or what all should I look for if I check out this bike in person?

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Great bike for the price. At your price range I'd really cherry pick to make sure you find one that hasn't been abused. Frankly, I'd be on the lookout for a decent KDX 200. Any year after 1995 would be ideal, but some earlier ones were really great too. (My first "serious" bike was an older air cooled model) The 2000 CR though, if its not stolen/abused is going to be a hard deal to beat at 900 bucks.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
joerickson said:
I found a 2000 honda cr125r for $900. I havent called the guy yet, but in the add it says it has newly rebuilt front forks, new plastic, and good tires. Does this sound like a good deal and is it a good bike as far as ease of maintenance and reliability goes? Is this year prone to any major problems, or what all should I look for if I check out this bike in person?

That's a good price for that bike and I think you would be happy with a cr. Here's a little checklist to look at when you go look at the bike:

Biggest issues:
-Check the bottom of the frame for stress cracks/deep rust.
-Make sure the sub frame is not too bent out of shape, cracked, or broken.
-Go over the suspension (especially the rear linkage bearings, shock bearing, and swingarm bearings) checking for rust. Working on your rear suspension can get pretty expensive.
-Take a good look at the footpegs and make sure where they mount and pivot on the frame does not have excessive play outside of the normal folding of the footpeg.
-Before you try starting the bike feel the expansion chamber to see if the bike has already been warmed up. If it is hot or had been warmed up, ask why. Sometimes if there's a bike that has issues starting (being from poor compression, jetting issues, or whatever else) people will try to hide that by warming the bike up before you get there. Not a big deal to do a rebuild, but just know what you are getting into before you buy the bike.

Smaller Issues:
-Check the fork seals for excessive leaking (although he stated new fork seals, just make sure)
-Take a look at the air filter and see what kind of shape it's in (if it is rotten and filthy then the guy probably has not kept up the regular maintenance.)
-Check side to side slack in the wheels (checking the wheel bearings)
-Check the brake levers and the clutch lever to make sure they aren't broken or overly bent and have good pull.
-Check out the front/rear sprokets and chain for excessive wear. (Again just to know what you might need to replace when you buy the bike, then it will help you make a decision on price and whether or not you want this specific bike.)

I think this would give you a good idea on how well the bike was maintained and whether you want this specific bike or if you want to search a little more and find something different. If the bike seems to be in poor mechanical condition then just be prepared to spend a good amount of time and money getting the bike into good running condition. Often times you are better off finding a very well maintained bike and paying more for it off the start because it will end up saving you a boatload of money probably in the first year and even more in the long run, if you continue to maintain the bike well. I hope this helps a little....

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
I know you said you don't want to buy a new bike anytime soon, but if you buy a well used xr200 and do not overpay you will have a bike that will do what you want (sort of) and that will be a manageable bike for you to learn on. You will be able to sell it after a season for something close to what you paid for it, and then you can buy whatever you want, because you'll have learned enough that you'll have a better idea of what you want.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom