bolebec

May 29, 2007
ok, this is the 2nd time that one of my forums has gotten closed, so hopefully this time will work out...
1) I am about 5'8" and about 150 lbs
2) I'm somewhat aggressive
3) I love riding on tracks, but i will mostly ride on woods trails
4) I have been riding for about 1 and a half years
5) I might race in the future
6) I dont know anything about the inside of my bike, but i would like to learn
7) I dont have a big preference for brand and im trying to find out whether a 2 or 4 stroke would be good for me
8) I have a local dealer, but i probably wont buy from them, ill look for a used bike over the internet or out side of my city
9) Im not too worried about money at this point
10) i dont like in california
11) Im almost 16
12) My old TTR125L is getting too small for me and my dad says i should consider keeping a 4 stroke but i want the opinion of other riders. Could you guys tell some of the main differences between 4 & 2 Strokes (Maintainance, Performance, ect.) Thanks guys.

bolebec

May 29, 2007
btw i would like something that would have as much power as 125 2 stroke if i do get a 4 stroke because thats what all my friends have.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
250f 4 stroke has more torque and about the same peak HP as a 125 2 stroke. It also has a much broader power spread than a 125 - thus, easier to ride because of the low end power. However, many of the pro GNCC riders are still on 2 strokes - but they're usually on 250 2 strokes, not 125s. Most people consider a 125s power too "peaky" for woods riding, although I don't have any trouble with it.

250f 4 strokes have a more complicated engine design than a 125 2 stroke. Thus, you'll have a bit more maintenance to do. The 250f 4 strokes are quite expensive to fix if you blow the motor, so if you buy one, be sure to keep up with the regular maintenance.

Otherwise, pick one and go with it.

bolebec

May 29, 2007
i heard that you have to change the rings on a 2 stroke like every 10 hours you ride, and i dint think i would know how to do that... Is it easy to learn in case that i decide to go with a 2 stroke.

Last edited:

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
no you dont that is only for motocross riding you can go more like 60-70 hours or about every 3-4 months just keep the filter real clean like every 2 rides and use a 32:1 mix ratio. but i would proly wana 250f if i was you.

1994CR250

Apr 13, 2007
I just bought my bike and went through the same quandry. I think it really come down to price. I found I got more bang for my buck with the two strokes. I ended up with a 1994 CR250 set up for trail riding. So far it's only been to the track, but I'm having a blast on it. Best part was that I got it for $1300, much cheaper than any decent similar year 4 stroke.

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
I just got into bikes and was askin alot of the same questions. I ended up finding a nice 2001 WR250F. super nice, easy to ride, lots of lil upgrades you can do to it, can use a bunch of YZ250 parts/upgrades.

good luck, have fun

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you go with an mx bike you'll have alot of maintenance either way. It takes the same amount of time to check the valve clearances on my crf as it does to put rings in my old rm 250. Both need frequent oil changes. Either way, a little maint. can save you ALOT of money, especially with an mx 4 stroke.

Top Bottom