May 28, 2012
Ok heres the deal i just bough a 1975 Kawasaki kv 100 the bike was stored since 1982 when the guy i got it from bought it. i have all registrations from new up to the plate that is still on it from 82 lol. the bike fired on wd40 and gas in the carb so i brought it home cleaned the inch of varnish outta the bottom of the tank cleaned the oil tank and debris off the motor took the tank and repainted it due to some surface rust bubbles got it back together now it wont start occasionally a back fire. cleaned the points regapped them and now the thing will shock you but has no spark even with a new plug. what is my problem?

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
restore an old bike

So far you did good.
I bought a bike which stood in a shop for 6 years and was ridden about 3 hours per year. I had to replace all oil seals, most engine bearings, replate the cylinder and redo the bottom end. After that the bike ran like a raped ape.

I think you should pull the engine and split it. If the bearings check well leave them but with 30 years of standing I rather go for new ones.

Replace all oil seals, plastic components lasting 30 years belong in the guiness book but not in an engine. :)

As for the electric, you need a manual, and get the OHM values of ech component. The ones which don't check out, replace. A coil does not need to be OEM the stator well, I doubt that the bikes has a cdi, so the ignition is about some mechaical contact giver under the flywheel.

Good luck

May 28, 2012
plans in progress

arnego2 said:
So far you did good.
I bought a bike which stood in a shop for 6 years and was ridden about 3 hours per year. I had to replace all oil seals, most engine bearings, replate the cylinder and redo the bottom end. After that the bike ran like a raped ape.

I think you should pull the engine and split it. If the bearings check well leave them but with 30 years of standing I rather go for new ones.

Replace all oil seals, plastic components lasting 30 years belong in the guiness book but not in an engine. :)

As for the electric, you need a manual, and get the OHM values of ech component. The ones which don't check out, replace. A coil does not need to be OEM the stator well, I doubt that the bikes has a cdi, so the ignition is about some mechaical contact giver under the flywheel.

Good luck
i plan to tear into the motor block soon but must be sure as to what it will or will not need in the trans/bottom end. yes i've rode the bike around a bit and it runs great so i'm not planning on takeing it appart untill i absolutely have to. yes some rubber seals will be replaced etc but need to figure out this spark issue. if i hold the plug i get shocked if i almost ground the plug out it dont spark. need some help here. a screwdriver and your shockd just no spark through the plug. condincer?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Try a new plug connector on the end of your coil wire. And a new plug while you're at it. The plug connector should unscrew off the wire and a new one screws right on. Cheap, too.

Top Bottom