NEED HELP QUICK!! Notebook Cpu - SONY or HP?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm shopping for a notebook computer this week and have narrowed it down to the Sony Viao or HP. They are similar in specs (900-1000 mHz, 256 MB RAM, AMD Athlon (sp?) processor, 20 gig hard drive, Windows XP, DVD/CD-RW combo drive...)

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE NOTEBOOKS (or HP/Sony computers in general)? Which would you advise and why?

I have heard that HP's don't last too long and crash often. Can anyone agree/disagree on this?

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sony.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
That is an wasy one - Sony over HP.

Dell over Sony though. :)

-jeffd

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
And Compaq over Dell. Go with an Evo or Armada. They are bulletproof and tech support is unbeatable.

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
...Sony over HP, Dell over Sony, Compaq over Dell. So since HP is buying out Compaq, it stands to reason that HP is the best choice!

Six of one, half dozen of the other...

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by JimmyD2
...So since HP is buying out Compaq, it stands to reason that HP is the best choice!

Six of one, half dozen of the other...

Just a heads up, it hasn't been approved yet. It is still in the works. In fact, Compaq\HP merger may not go through. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
You didn't ask this, yet I like the Dell.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I have a Sony VAIO laptop that has been a lemon from the getgo. However, nomanufacturer can promise 100% reliability on each unit that leaves the factory, so this could be the "One in a Million" fluke. :confused:

Oct 22, 2000
"And what's wrong with HP?!?"

I may be the minority here as it seems everyone is HP bashing, but, my HP Omnibook 6000 has been a great laptop and I have had excellent support from HP (the one time that I called to ask a stupid question). Now for the second item, as an employee of the worlds largest microprocessor manufacturer, I would recommendl you stay away from "Brand A" :uh: and get something with a REAL CPU, say, a P4?!? Just my .02:confused:.

RatTrap

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Re: "And what's wrong with HP?!?"

Actually nothing is wrong with HP equipment. However, the Pavillion line sold throught the major retail chains (Cirtcuit City etc.) is not the same quality as the Omnibook laptops and Vectra PCs sold through the reseller channel. At least that is what I have been told by HP reps in the past.

We've had great luck with our Omnibooks and have had nothing but great experience with their support overall - which I've called many many times over the years. Great support - at least for us resellers.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
"Dude, I'm getting a Dell"

Thank you everyone for your responses, opinions, and advice!! :)

I was sold on the Sony but had one BIG problem - I found the one I liked - but I couldn't find it in stock ANYWHERE! (Plus it was an AMD Athlon 4 processor)

So I gave in and ordered a Dell. I have heard nothing but great things about them. I got an Inspiron 8100 Notebook - it's a Pentium 3, 1.0 gHz, 256 MB SDRAM, 20 GB hard drive, floppy drive, Windows XP, 10/100 56k v.90 modem, 16xCD-RW/DVD combo drive, 6 months free of AOL, and 3 years "Complete Care" service (against accidental damage - ie. dropping it when Red decides to do a no-footed can-can at a race, roost damage, spilling No-Toil filter oil on it, etc...) :confused:

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Good choice.

Top Bottom