killer454

Jan 3, 2011
hello everybody my nephew bought a cr125r and we are rebuilding it right now.im going to get me a bike to ride to and have a question i need some help with.

do all mx bikes have the cylinder coated?
im wanting to buy a race bike but dont really want to mess with the coated cylinders do the 4-stroke bikes have a coated cylinder?

what brands dont have the plated cylinders?

thanks for the help

killer454

Jan 3, 2011
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Even the saving money on the sleeve is bs. Welcome to the site. Vintage Bob

hey vintage bob you dont have to be like that! i joined this forum to learn about bikes and try to get back into rideing again.i was told the people on this forum where real nice people to talk to.i realize your against the sleave thing and i have read all your posts,its my decision what way to go with this bike.

i have sent the cylinder down to florida for a sleave, the guy has been doing it for 20 years.

i will drop 300.00 for a new cylinder if im not satisfied with the sleave,but i feel this is the way to go right or wrong we will see.

the next bike i buy i will know from this bike on which way to go next time.

i do say you could be right on the sleave but i am going to findout for myself.

if i have made you mad over this im sorry,but i read your advice and decided to go the other way.

thanks for all the help bob and everybody else

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Wow slow down and catch your breath killer. Bob didn't say anything but the truth. He did not make any statement for or against you, just answered your question.
The reason the guy may have been doing it for 20 years is because back then it was a necessity but on 'modern' bikes it is a dieing art. Unless you are planning on doing a restoration project you are better off starting with a newer bike with a plated cylinder

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
It's true. Sleeves are a great way to ruin a perfectly good cylinder. You'll have issues with porting, jetting, overheating, and premature wear. Re-plating is generally right in line price wise with boring and installing a sleeve. You will have to re-bore and hone the sleeve several times while the plating will still be as new.

Just the truth :)

J.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
will honing a plated cylinder ruin it?

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
A properly plated cylinder will cool more evenly ( and avoid cold siezure more), it can run a closer tollerance (so will last longer) it is a harder surface (so will last longer) and as mentioned if you get a bike newer than 1995 it had a plated cylinder, Yes the 4 strokes have plated cylinders for the same reasons as mentioned above. You choose but the smart money is on plating (until something better comes along)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
78 there was coated cylinders, and sleeves. Some are but a few ten thousandths of an inch. Honing is dangerous when not done properly. Running long on rering and rebuilds push the material behind the plating, out of round more than a couple thousandths, and it will never seal up for really good compression. Or last very long. Oven cleaner or muratic acid solution can burn off the flashing, a green scotchbrite pad and wd40 can sand it off also. Both in the wrong hands, are dangerous, could kill you, and most importantly, ruin a 600 dollar cylinder.

killer454

Jan 3, 2011
i need help finding the right bike for me

hey guys i have been trying to research what bikes dont have the coated cylinders and cant find much on it at all.

im looking for a older bike that DOES NOT have the coated cylinder on it.
can anybody tell me what years dont have the coating?

im looking at yz250,cr250,kx250

im just wanting to hit the track once in a while but mostly trail ride it.im going to buy a used bike and plan on boreing the cylinder and add a new piston/rings.

thanks for the help

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Pretty sure about this? I saw you posted awhile back about this. Well, if you are sure you are looking at EVO/Vintage stuff. You need to look at early 80's or back up to the 70's and earlier. Let's say you got a 1982 CR, there's a bike with a cylinder that need to be bored out (up to .080 over was max I think). Boring over was not always a good thing because now you lose mass that helps with heat transfer not that it really mattered I guess. The materials used in the earlier bikes, ie. magnesium, low grade aluminum played hell with coolant passages also so finding a good engine is always tough (most people ran tap water which added to the fire and brimstone). Why don't you just find a decent trail bike - like an XR250/400. Aircooled, low maintenance, fun to ride, some people even run them on a track now and then for fun. Lots to condsider. Now, if you think todays bikes are what you want you'll be dealing with a far superior technology that lasts longer with less problems than yesteryear - plating.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
suzuki start the plating thing long time after honda. the rm 80 (until 2001 i think) had the cast liner. the 125 and 250 may have it until 92 mybe.
the 89 125yz is plated.

if it´s very important to you for what ever reason you can get a cast iron liner for most modern plated cylinder. LAsleeve.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
killer454 said:
hey guys i have been trying to research what bikes dont have the coated cylinders and cant find much on it at all.

You'll probably need to head to Pep Boys and look for one of those Chinese "dirt bikes" they sell next to the washer solvent display.

No one in their right mind would design an engine with a steel sleeve when better performing, stone reliable plated barrels can be built for less money. That's been true for about 30 years or so. :coocoo:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I suppose you want air cooling and dual shocks too? :nener: The old school designs have been replaced by better working technology, like Rich said, round about 30 years ago.

killer454

Jan 3, 2011
ok you guys talked me into buying a newer bike with the coated cylinder.

im going to go ahead and forkout the money for a nice bike,i talked to my banker freind today and he said a loan would be no problem.

so now i need advice on what bike to get,im looking to spend around 3000.00.

i have decided to go with a 4-stroke bike

i have found a ktm 05 525 on craigslist for around 2500.00 would this be a good bike?

i want a used 450-525cc bike,i can add more money if the right bike comes along.

what is the best 4-stroke out their?

im going to research for 3 weeks and then go buy something i will post a picture of it when i pick it up.i just want you guys to understand im not blowing smoke.you guys have talked me out of buying an older bike,my nephew has the race bike so i want the race bike to but i want a 4-stroker let me know what bike you guys like.

thanks from killer454

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
killer454, I don't know your background and experience but here's my .02. Having ridden late model 125's and 250 two strokes and 250 and 450 four strokes I have this experience to opine. 125's take too much effort on the trails but are a blast on the track for 150-160 lb rider. The 250 two strokes will haul butt and take even a heftier body into the air without problem, good on the track and the trail. The 250F is a really good machine for the trail or the track but you have to really ring it out to take advantage of the power. The 450F is a BIG handful of horse power and torque. On the track it takes lots of experience and can be fatiquing due to the hp/torque. On the trails, it will take a great deal of patience but will pull you thru anything you are willing to tackle.
If you are between a 150-175 lbs, a 250 two stroke or four stroke will be lots of fun. If you are a bigger guy, the 450F's will handle your mass with ease. Just one bit of advice, modern bikes are nothing like the vintage machines. Be prepared for very high performance. Pic your favorite color and have fun.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009

Whatever you decide to buy, learn what to look for when buying a bike or take someone who does. Otherwise, you may as well go play roulette with your money. There is a reason I have bought several bikes in the last few years and they are rock solid reliable and low maintenance, because I know what to look for.

Top Bottom