i_am_a_mutt13

Sep 8, 2005
Okay I am new to this sport and in desperate need of help. I have been told many different things about buying a bike and what kind of a bike to get and it is very confusing.

First off I would ride backwoods trails at a friends house and some off road tracks at my local track. Also I do not do the whole "going big" thing. I do not like the idea of that. I may do a few occasional small jumps, but nothing huge.

Next the greatest question of all...what bike (honda, yamaha, sukuki, etc...) is the best in matinence, durability, and overall quality plus any important factors in a bike.

finally what size of a bike should I get? I am 5'5-5'6 ish and I weigh 175-180lbs. I have been told to go with a 250cc, but i can't afford it. Would a 125cc be suitable for me riding trails?

thanks for all your help and opinions. It helps me a great deal.

mutt

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
If way more trails than track, a KDX200 or 220 would be a good pick. They are some of the most reliable and low maintenance bikes out there, produce plenty of off-road power, are very forgiving to learn on (like a 4stroke), and they can be had new for less than $4000 or a good used one can be found between $2000 and $2500. Fine for the occasional jump, definitely not a bike to "go big" on. There are plenty of fancier, faster, and lighter bikes out there, but the way you described yourself and what you are looking for perfectly makes you a perfect fit for a KDX.

ps. yes, I am biased because I ride one.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
Another vote for the KDX, but not because I ride one. Great to learn on, easy to upgrade as you develop your skills. Another option is the KTM 200exc if you have a little more $ and want something you'll likely never outgrow.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom