ADDICTED2TONE

Sep 12, 2006
I am getting ready to buy a new 07 KTM.. I am torn between a 300xcw and a 525xcw... My last bikes were an fmf prepped cr 500 and an xr 600.. I havent been on a track since 98..
I took a break and got into atvs and sportbikes..

I am wanting something for racing vet 30-39 class in hare scrambles... I am 6ft 200 lbs 35 years old..
I race my cr 500 in the eastern woods and never got out of 3rd most of the time.. Clutch it and let it eat..

I want smooth and easy to ride.. I am not looking to be worn out before the race is over.. I run 40-45 miles a week and lift weights 3 days a week.. I am in excellent shape.
I want my "A" card back and I am looking for the best way to get there quick.

Thanks for the help...

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Why not go with the sxf 450?

Senior C

Feb 27, 2006
My vote is for the 300xcw! Sure wish I could afford to replace my 2000 300exc with one. The 300 is the greatest, I am 44 for the record.

ADDICTED2TONE

Sep 12, 2006
Cool! I didnt know that the new exc's were dual sport..
I had beed thinking about that as well..

We have alot of dual sport rides near me not to mention alot of trails I could ride to..

I will check that out.. Most of the dual sport bikes you buy out of the showroom, I have been around werent worth a crap in dirt.. You had to spend a fortune making them offroad worthy..

I bought an xr 600 back in 95 brand new.. I titled it and made it street legal.. I had a blast on that bike....

I also seen where baja designs sells a dualsport conversion for the 300 mxc xc exc bikes.. Has anyone ever done that?

How hard is it to tag a 2 stroke? That would be killer on the 6 days of michigan if you could..

I like the ktms though.. You just put on handguards and a skidplate and go racin... I cant get that out of a big 4 bike..

I had over 10 grand in my last cr500 just getting it setup right..

I am honestly leading toward the 300xcw.. Deep down I am 2 stroke junkie!

dirtrulz

Jul 15, 2006
Getting a two stroke street legal depends on your state. Have seen them plated but when you get down to brass tacks I dont think they are technically legal in any state. They would never pas emisions and likely not sound. Just cause you have a plate doesnt make them legal and this latest thing with california revoking a lot of plates has me worried other states will soon follow. But the new exc's have a street legal vin, no revoking. Most every state now has a law that states if the vin is off road only, no plate. Those are the ones I would be worried about them pulling at a later date. For pure racing I would go for the 300 also. I have and older one and I love it. Also have an 04 450 mxc and honestly it has more power, at least to me. It is nothing like the lazy power of the older generation four strokes. To me it isnt more tiring and dont notice much extra wieght. Havent ridden a 525 but for me it would be overkill.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I rode a 06 525 EXC at DW05 and it was sweet. I figured it would be a beast but with the woods gearing totally smooth. Although I wouldn't pass up the 300 either, for me it would come down to how much time I want to spend wrenching and the costs involved.

dirtrulz

Jul 15, 2006
Well hell, why didnt you say you had that option. :) Theres you answer, buy them both. While you are there you could buy me one too eh. I swear I will let you ride it anytime you are inthe area, no reallyt, I will :worship: :worship:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I say the EXC 400 is the sleeper bike of the year. This bike was not even on my radar screen until I rode one. This bike performs well in any situation, it is easy to ride fast for long periods of time without tiring you out. The most linear powerband of any bike I have ever ridden. No matter what the conditions the bike just hooks up and goes.

We get the Euro spec bikes here which are also street legal.

http://freefall2.smugmug.com/photos/89176766-M.jpg

ADDICTED2TONE

Sep 12, 2006
I figured out this morning.. I am buying both.. a 300 for HS and the 525 exc for dual sport.. Saves me alot of trouble..

The shop I looked at a has a brand new left over 03 450 sx for 4500 bucks..

Thats not a bad price..

Top Bottom