woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi All:

Ol' Woodsy is going to look at a 91 kdx250 tomorrow and I need all the help I can get. The bike is suppose to be like brand new with only 1500 STREET miles on it! The person that owns it is real picky kinda guy so I am assuming that the info I have at this time is genuine!!
What I really to know is: How competitve could this bikes be? Inverted or upright forks? Motor characteristics STOCK (power at low/med/high revs). Reliability? Suspention quirks or plusses (could they be jumped?). Trackability - any good in the tight stuff? Compared to the 200 - how do they preform? Type of Mono and rear linkage? How many gears? Weight - if nothing else compared again to the 200?
Over all were they good bikes?
Thanks in advance for all the input!
Woodsy

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
They are built off the 90-91 KX250 bikes. They have a 43mm inverted fork, dual disc brakes,KIPPS valve motor in them.

If you read a lot about them, you will find that a lot of places dont like them. They say overweight, sluggish, wide, no top end, etc. Personally my bike is far from stock, so I could not tell you what a stock KDX250 is.

A few things between the 91-94 model years:

91 Forks springs are .34kg, rear shock is 5.0
The 92-94 is .35 in the front and 4.9 in the rear.

The 91 uses a different odometer cable that is screwed in on both ends. The 92-94s use a set screw at the axle end.

You will want to check out my page for info on my bike and where parts come from: http://mlbobbitt.home.attbi.com/kdx250/1991kdx250.html

Things to look for? Well with any used bike, expect to change all the fluids including the forks. Plan to replace the front and rear wheel bearings. I had to replace the unitrak link and all the rear suspension bearings so check those for play. The lower shock bearing is especially weak on the Kawasakis.
I had problems with the fork seals and fork dust wipers that I solved by installing some seal savers: http://www.sealsavers.com . Also expect to grease the headstem bearings.

Other than that, usual 2 stroke motor checks.

Some of the things that I like about the bike is that it is light. Okay, compared to my XR600 I came off of and the 87 CR250 that weighed the same. The perimeter frame is great! Easy to replace the top end and the tank is HUGE on the bike stock. Once you find out where the parts come from, they are easy to get aftermarket units. got to like the 2 stroke with a headlight, always a bonus for later afterwork rides! They do come with a 70w stator stock so it runs the Dual Twinns headlight great in series. The forks are 43mm so they are the same size springs as the XR400s and Xr600s and lots of other bikes out there. So you can get a lot of used springs as takeouts from these bikes that are stiffer than your stockers. WR gears, 5 sp.

Cons, they could use a bit more steering travel. You can grind the stops down to help that for sure. With the kind of riding I do, 5 weight oil and adjusting the clickers on the both ends can compensate for most situations. If you are going to MX it, expect to increase the springs rates. The seals have been a bit hard to seal up but that is it.

Now my bike has a bit of mods. KX cylinder that is ported and polished, milled head (have to torn it down to confirm) <A href="http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/clickpro/click.cgi?id=21" target="_blank"><b>FMF</b></a> <A href="http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/clickpro/click.cgi?id=21" target="_blank"><b><u>pipe</u></b></a>, silencer and <A href="http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/clickpro/click.cgi?id=21" target="_blank"><b>FMF</b></a> torque reeds. The bike has a ton of torque and you ride a lot of time off the <A href="http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/clickpro/click.cgi?id=21" target="_blank"><b><u>pipe</u></b></a> in the real tight woods. I can easily outrun friends on KDX200 but when it gets really tight you all slow down to about the same pace. The bike is stable, easy to wheelie and works great for the riding I do. Personally I would love to pick up another unit for a spare mount! The bike tops out at 72mph with a 13/50 sprocket combo. Plenty fast! Much better than the CR250 close ratio box for the enduro scene personally.

Here are a few links that I have found around on the bike:

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/1685/1991250.html

http://showcase.netins.net/web/watsondesign/kdxpage.html

http://groups.msn.com/MyPicsandLife/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2&pgmarket=en-ca

If you have more specific questions, email me. From what I have read a stock KDX250 may not be a good mount. Do some motor work like install the thin KX headgasket for the bike, <A href="http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/clickpro/click.cgi?id=21" target="_blank"><b><u>pipe</u></b></a> and silencer and it will for sure make it a different bike! The suspension may need to be addressed also depending on your weight and riding style. The suspension is plush, but where I ride that is what you need.

Last edited:

XR600Fan

Apr 9, 2000
My bother and I each just bought two of these bikes and so far we are really liking them. I also (like Matt90) came off of an XR 600 and am enjoying the trimmed weight. Plastic parts seem to be the hardest to find parts for but not impossible. Just about everything can be interchanged with other Kawasakis of one year or other.
The bike puts around real nice but can get up and go when you want to. Mine also has had several mods done to it and it seems very reliable. Worst thing I've come across is leaking fork seals. With a little work/mods you can have a killer bike for minimal cash. Enjoy!

P.S. Matt90 seems to be the current expert on this bike. If you do any past searches in this forum Spanky also gave expert advice.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Matt: Thanks a MILLION for the exhaustive, detailed and very well written account of the KDX. I must say, that is one of the most well written responses I have ever read!! It is greatly appreciated!
I will probably go ahead and pick the bike up tomorrow as it really sounds like a sweet, almost new bike! I will most definitely let you know how I come out.
I am a very avid Michigan trails rider and a member of the CCC here. I have many years of experience on both 2 and 4 stroke bikes. I spend MANY hours riding the tight woods and my fair share of time fire laning. My most recent mount (My nephew is riding it now) was an 85 XR350 of which I have been riding the last 8 months. I have been itching to get back to the 2 strokes and have been looking at TONS of exMXrs. Problem with them is gotta do the stator/IMS tank/road legal to make them useful for use as enduro mounts (as you pointed out). I was hoping that this KDX would have potential for saving me some $ and making a decent steed. I will take a real CLOSE look at it tomorrow!
By the way, the links you gave me are on my favorites list now!!!!
Thanks again!!
Woodsy
PS - If it is something that I am not interested in after examination and test riding would you like the guys # who is selling it? I would be glad to tip it your way!!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
XR600Fan -- on those seals the dust wipers wear out. You can get a kit with seals and dust wipers for like $20-30 off this place:

PEAKSOURCE@PEAKSOURCE.COM

This is the auction I won off ebay for the parts: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&showTutorial=0&ed=1027053059&indexURL=0&rd=1

Most of my seal problems were dirt getting into the seals. So the dust wipers were not doing a good job. I assume if I would have replaced those I may have not needed the seal savers. I cleaned them with brake clean, packed them with white grease and cleaned the seal with 35mm film after each ride. Really look into those seal savers:

http://www.sealsavers.com

I really like the bike. I have put about 200 miles on the bike now since I got it. I had to replace every bearing when I got it, but it rides like a new bike. I really like the perimeter frame compared to the backbone. Much stiffer for sure! I dont feel anything in the front end of the bike, just the rear soaking up everything so far! Mine has a lot of KX parts like rear fender, KX rear wheels and the motor parts. The bike rips for sure and has been really reliable.

Some other tips on the carb, with a pipe the stock jets are fine. Drop the needle to the second clip and adjust the air screw as needed. I run a Splitfire sf405D plug for a bit more hit on the bike. Also I still have the mid 80s XR600 enduro computer and it is on the KDX now. Those are a great unit! You may have seen them XR600fan.

Other than that, I have drained the motor and install the DEX Cool antifreeze (the red stuff, you can find it at most parts stores) since it has less silicates in it it is gentler to the water pump and half a bottle of watter wetter. Runs like a top! Take a bit to get warm, but once there never comes close to overheating.

Last edited:

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
Hey Matt, thanks for the info on the seals and wipers. I've been having problems with dirt constantly getting in mine and causing them to leak.

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
Thi is a good bike. With the exception of a couple problems. First: This model was only made for 3 years. '91. '92, '93. I have a '93 and the cdi went bad. I did not want to pay the $280 for a new one. A search through every salvage yard I could find on the web and through freinds turned up nothing. I was told that used parts for these years of KDX 250's are slim to non. I think I am going to sell mine and pick up a 200. I was told that if I had a 200, used parts would be no problem. Good luck.

XR600Fan

Apr 9, 2000
Thanks Matt90. I ordered the Seal Savers tonight. I am still shopping around for the best deal on fork guards. Are you anywhere close to Roseburg, OR? My parents live there now.
I just sold my 85 XR600R. I miss the tractor power!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Guys:
I finally got an opportunity to get over and look/test rid and (most important) purchase the KDX!! Awesome bike, 1500 original miles - $1300. For our area the price was a litte high (bikes are not sell well right now) but it really is a sharp bike and I had to have it, soooooooo..
Bike is bone stock except for an FMF Gold pipe and FMF silencer. Sides of the frame where all my bikes show lots of wear shows very little wear, frame under motor and on built in water pump guard shows no wear/original paint still there!! Stock original gearing at 14/48 seems very adequate for play but I am ordering up 13/14/15/16 front sprockets just to play with - cheapest effective gearing changes I have found.. I am planning a 2 hundred plus mile journey for the weekend and thought I would gear up for fire laning - this motor can absolutly handle it!!
Matt90, I can see why some people dont appreciate the "wideness' of the perimeter frame - it definitly has a feel of its own. You are 100% correct about the positive side of the extra room it provides for topend work!! I am really anxious to do my first ring job and actually be able to get at the head bolts without scaring my hands :)
Bike has excellent power range, real nice balance point on the rear wheel and comes on the pipe stronger then I thought it would (no comparison to the 2oo's I have owned in the past).
I can see right now that it is going to be a FUN steed to own!!
Thanks again to all for the help!!
CYA in the woods!!
Woodsy
PS - I do have plans for future mods and will checking back into the info you folks provided!!!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Oh by the way MAtt: One of those links you sent me to complained about the weight of the 250 KDX.. I just shipped out a new 2002 WR250 and had it weighed for shipment - 251 with 1/2 tank of gas. The KDX on the same scales - 262 with about quarter tank!! NOT BAD!!!
Woodsy

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
XR600Fan, I am in corvallis. We should ride together one of these times!

Yeah, the weight of the bike is not that bad. On par with a lot of other bikes really. It does have a large fuel tank that can add the to weight and a lot of steel on the bike. It feels about the same weight as the Cr250 I had with all the enduro add ones like skid plates, tank, bark busters, etc.

Once you ride the bike, you will really like the perimeter frame.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by XR600Fan
Thanks Matt90. I ordered the Seal Savers tonight. I am still shopping around for the best deal on fork guards. Are you anywhere close to Roseburg, OR? My parents live there now.
I just sold my 85 XR600R. I miss the tractor power!

tractor power, get some new reeds like the FMF torque reeds. This bike has more low end feel/power than my xr600 with cam, edelbrock carb, pipe and header. I could lug the XR down farther, but the KDX just feels like more everything, less weight.

XR600Fan

Apr 9, 2000
Hey Matt90GT, I am in eastern Idaho now. so it will be awhile before I can haul the bike and family over to Oregon. Keep n eye out for fork guards for me wil ya? (2 sets, my broher needs them to.)

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
They were like $15 a side from Honda-kawasaki. They are the same units on the KLX so the OEM ones are still really reasonable. The KDX/KLX actually wrap the sides unlike the KX250s of the 90-91 days only protected from the front.

Lh: 55020-1363-RZ
Rh: 55020-1423-RZ

http://www.honda-kawasaki.com

Takes about 2 weeks, but they have excellent prices!

matt

Top Bottom