Need Moab INFO.

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
Can anyone give me detailed information about the trails around Moab,Ut. and Canyonlands? I am trying to plan a trip for April, 2003. Thanks, Mike

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
The trails in Moab are a combanation of slick rock, sand and rocks. Usually all on the same trail. Just about every trail will have an expert part at some point. If your bikes are plated, you can get to just about any trailhead from riding out of Moab.

Slick Rock trail is a 12 mile loop of slick rock. Moderate with some trick parts.

Flat Pass (also known as steelbender) is an 11 mile moderate trail of rock and ledges. In April, there probably will be two deep creek crossings to get in and out of this trail.

Porcupine Rim is rocky and mainly moderate riding abilitly. It has a 1000 foot cliff to ride up to. You can go on some single track but it is not easy.

Kane Creek is easy to moderate with two spots that are very challenging.

Pritchett Canyon / Behind the Rocks is moderate to expert. Depending on which way you go in, you will have either challenging climbs or decents.

Amasa Back is an expert trail in my opinion. It is the shortest but most challenging. It also ends up at a 1000 foot cliff.

Poison Spider, Golden Rod and Golden Spike are moderate to expert. Easy to get off the trail on these trails. At one point you need to jump a pretty large "crack" as it is known. Lots of slick rock and sand on these trails.

Moab Rim is an expert trail with lots of ledges to climb and get down. Short but challenging.

I know there are easy trails out there but I'm not too familiar with them. Gemini Bridges is just a jeep road. I think Hurrah Pass is easy. And I think there is a trail out there called White Rim that is real easy.

Be prepared to run into lots of moutain bikers and jeepers. The town isn't all the fun either. Very laid back and 3/2 beer everywhere. Still, it is my favorite place to ride. You will be able to ride 2-3 trails a day. We usually bunch them up as follows: 1) Slick Rock, Porcupine in the morning and Flat Pass in the afternoon 2) Kane Creek, Behind the Rocks and Pritchett all day 3) Poison Spider, Golden Spike in the morning and Amasa Back in the afternoon

When you get into town, make sure you hit the Poplar Place restaraunt. Ask to speak to the owner about riding. He knows every inch out there and loves to talk Moab riding. He may even take you on a ride if he has the time.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
Thanks for all the great info. Dougie. It should be very helpful. I will be bringing my DRZ 400E and my KDX200. The 400 should be plated by then. Will I need to stop and get any sort of special permit. Thanks again,Mike

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Mike, I'll add to what Dougie said. He's spot on in his assesment. Especially Amassa Back, that one's a bear :eek: Although I think going up Moab Rim is the hardest! :thumb:

Have you been there before? If not you'll love it!

If you get a chance do the Klondike Bluffs trail, It's short but the view is out of this world.

As Dougie said the White Rim trail is easy, but very long 118 miles from end to end. Mtn. bikers do it over 3 days, I've done it in about 6 hours on the bike. You need a BIG tank to do it, there is absolutly nothing out there but desert and fabulous views! Also it is in the Canyon Lands national monument, you MUST be plated to ride it.

You must must must do slickrock (by the way, this term throws people off the "Slickrock" is petrified sandstone, it used to be a beach millions of years ago. Traction like pavement, you can do unbelievable climbs unless it gets wet!)

Email me and I'll send you some pictures. Or some pointers about the area.

Don't go out over Easter, they have the Jeep safari out there and you may not want to share the trails with 3,000 Jeeps.

The town lives on the tourist trade, mainly Jeeps, Mtn. Bikes and hikers so any of the shops in town have maps of the area.

Here is my list of favorites:

1. Slickrock (you can also do Fins and Things and Porcupine Rim they are all in the same area and can be done in one long day)

2. Porcupine rim, Excellent views, very rocky. The last 2-3 miles is expert only singletrack

3. Pritchett Cyn/Kane Creek I like to go in on the Pritchett side and ride the hard stuff UP then pop out at the highway (using the Behind the rocks trail) take the highway 1 mile south and pick up the Kane Creek trail back to Pritchett

3. Kane Creek, its a ways out of town, but if there is water its a must do (20+ water crossings)

4. Poison Spider Mesa: AWESOME! one of my favorites connect it to Golden Spike and it's tons of fun! or for a Long trip connect it to Golden Crack to Gold Bar rim. You'll end up about 10 miles north of town but it's worth it.

Rod

Last edited:

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Just a quick thought about riding the Slickrock Trail on a dirt bike. Yes, it's a must do at some point in your life... but ya might want to try Hell's Revenge BEFORE ya try the Slickrock Trail. It's right next door, has practically the same terrain and awesome views, but it's a little less technical and has much fewer mtn bikes on it. There's also a cool little loop called Fins-n-Things that we use for warm up within that same Sand Flats area. And you can cut off of the Porcupine Trail before that nasty ledgy section and have a really fun sandy loop back up to the Sand Flats area.

Regarding White Rim, ya don't really need an oversized gas tank, but it'd be good to carry a little extra gas just in case. My old TTR125L and my friend's TTR250 both made the entire loop on one stock tank of gas without adding any extra. Note that the Park Ranger requires that you have a street legal tag to do that loop, even if you bike is only "somewhat" street legal.

Have fun!

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by CJ Rider

Regarding White Rim, ya don't really need an oversized gas tank, but it'd be good to carry a little extra gas just in case.

Yea but CJ you are not haulin' 30 pounds of blubber like the rest of us mortals! :confused: Guess what I was trying to say is the loop is over 100 miles if you do the spurs, and there ain't a 7-11 in sight :eek:

I've done it on my XR with the stock tank (barely) but there is no way I could do it on my KTM :(

Also you'll probably want to bring your hydration system, even in April it can get plenty warm and it's darn dry around there!

Rod

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
What feedback! Thanks everyone. If you want to add anything else, feel free to. The DRZ will go about 80 miles when you are running it hard. I will prob. carry extra fuel and a Camelback. When you say expert, do you mean that an intermediate rider will not be able to ride the section?As far as plates go, are you saying that I can stick my plate off of my street bike on the DRZ with lights?

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Umm, as far as the plate thing, well not really legal, but the law in the area tends to look the other way IF you are being cool. (Like no wheelies down main street!) But you didn't hear it from me.

As far as fuel, you don't need to worry unless you are doing white rim. Everything else varies from 5 miles to about 30 miles or so. But its sooo cool, sooo different, it's like riding on the moon. no place else like it! :thumb:

As far as expert, I am an intermediate rider at best and have completed all the trails you probably do, except Moab Rim (I turned around on that one) :ugg: When I say expert, I guess you just don't want to take Jr. on his PW 50 out there :eek:

send me an E-mail at Rod.Mead@dot.state.co.us and I'll send you some pictures and stuff!

Here is a good site for Moab, its Jeep related but gets the point across! http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

Rod

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…