cr250pro

Jun 15, 2005
alright.....I just bought a 1999 yz125. I found the o-ring chain to be in really bad shape and wanted to know about ordering another one. I want the regular chain (the one without 0-rings). How do I know how many links I want? I don't have a manual so Im completley lost. Help me out. Thanks

Bikeopheliac

Apr 2, 2006
whatever chain you buy, it will have extra links so you can take out as many as you need. I usually just lay my new chain out flat directly next to my old one and eye the chain length, making sure that there are the same amount of links. Chains stretch over time so you might have to actually count out each link and make sure the new one is the same as the new one. You will need a chain-breaker to force the steel pin out of the link you wish to remove, which run $15-30. Make sure when you put the master link on you leave the open-end facing away from the direction the chain is spinning so it won't catch on anything . Hope that helps

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Most chains come in 120 links lengths and then just as Bikeopheliac said you just need to break it at the link you want. If you have an owners manual or Service Manual it should tell you the exact number of links under the Drive Chain section. For a 125 it should be right around 110-114 links give or take a couple. Just for reference, not that it helps you much with a YZ but a 2003 KX 125 is 112 links.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The '99 YZ125 came stock with 114 links w/13-50 gearing.
Those service manuals can be invaluable. If I planned to keep the bike, I'd find one.

Buying a chain with exactly how many links you thought it needed has hosed many a good weekend for many a rider. Always get one longer, and cut to length when mounting.

cr250pro

Jun 15, 2005
wow you guys have been a lot of help. That solves alot of my questions. My new bike did not come with an owners manual, but I ordered a clymer repair manual shortly after that should arrive any time. The question now is.....what chains would you guys recommend? I rear sprocket is brand new so I feel fine with just adding a new chain only. Thanks again guys!

edit: what about chain sizes? (415,420,428,520,525)

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I am 99% sure that the stock chain for your bike is a 520. All of the 125's I have worked on have been 520. Jaybird or one of the other 99 YZ 125 owners can confirm that.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
rosscopeeko said:
Also, if you want to get some good chain lube, buy some of the mx1000 from Jaybird. I just started running it and it works great.
:cool:

Bikeopheliac

Apr 2, 2006
The only difference between different types of chains are the maintenance involved and cleanliness. An x or o-ring chain is basically maintenance free, except for adjustment as the chain stretches with time, and doesn't need to be covered in grease like a standard chain. I run o-ring chains simply because i dont want grease all over my riding gear or being flung all over my bike.

cr250pro

Jun 15, 2005
Alright, well I got the repair manual and it still doesn't say what the stock size chain is. Most likely because the manual covers a range of years. Can someone please tell me what size would be on a 1999 yz125? I think I am going to buy a D.I.D. non-oring chain. thanks

Top Bottom