Need some help/advice for pipe and silencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Hi, I am thinking of buying a new exahust system. I am leaning A LOT towards the FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe with the Power Core II Silencer. I would lik emy bike to be a little louder, with more power. I am going to race it this season in MX, not Trail Racing. My bike is a complete stock 2003 KDX 200, no mods, not even the airbox.

Thanx for the help!

FreestyleKDX there are some simple rules and basic courtesies you need to start following. I STRONGLY suggest you post a question ONCE and I strongly recommend you either read through or spell check before submitting your posts. People on this forum are giving freely of their time to help fellow KDX owners, don’t make them work so hard. There is a wealth of information in this forum, using the search function or looking through previous posts will reward you with the answer to most of your questions.

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
first louder is not faster never has never will. second go with pro circuit fits better third kdx is not make for mx racing. fourth if you are gonna race mx why not buy a bike all ready set up for that kind of racing it is a lot cheaper than doing it your self from a bike not made for that kind of racing

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
I say keep it totally stock and MX it the way it is... or maybe you could remove the silencer when you remove the airbox lid, that would be louder :flame:

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
If I were you, I'd put a Pro Circuit Factory Pipe and Factory Sound Silencer (race cap). That's what I have! It is awesome! I love more sound, too!!! "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
DON"T RUN A STRAIGHT PIPE! YEAH, IT SOUNDS COOL, BUT YOUR PISTON WILL FRY BECAUSE OF LACK OF BACK PRESSURE!!!!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Is there a big difference in sound between the PC Factory Sound and the PC Spark Arrestor? I have the shorty on my KX, but I like to trail ride too. I'm looking for something a WHOLE lot quieter for the woods.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok, thanx for the replies, so, what are you ideas? Go with Procircuit? I think that I want more low end power for more of a powerband type thing, if ya know what I mean. But I want my bike to sound and be a little meaner too. I still ama Fan of FMF. Howbad is it to fit a Gnarly Woods pipe with a Power Core II Silencer? I have heard that it was hard, and easy from other people. I guess that its just a luck thing or something? idk THANX

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by kdxsam
DON"T RUN A STRAIGHT PIPE!... YOUR PISTON WILL FRY BECAUSE OF LACK OF BACK PRESSURE!!!!

:think: Where's Rich when you need him?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Dear freestyle (did I put enough postage on this for interstellar delivery?):

I have no idea how you arrived at a -35 FmF choice with a bent toward MX. The -30 is the obvious (and only) FmF choice for your proposed application.

Of course, you'll want to be retarding your timing for the track. You've probably read that already on the forward motion site.......right?

23jay:
I don't think he'd waste his ascii! ;)

boy san

Dec 4, 2002
i have a gnarly woods with power core II silencer. i also ditched my airbox lid. this set-up works great for me, but not sure if i'd mx it. i'm mostly a trail guy. if your totaly stuck with racing your kdx in mx, maybe the rev pipe instead. i'm sure these guys got lots of info on that.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok thnx for the replies, but y the rev pipe? it throws out more top end? idk help me out. THANX

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
From CDave's site:
(http://justkdx.dirtrider.net)

"A rev pipe is a good choice for those who spend more of their time in third to sixth gear and ride in fast open areas and are looking for a strong mid range hit and better top end power."

and.......
"When selecting a pipe it is important to remember where you would like the most power focused. A torque pipe will steal a little top end power in trade for improved bottom end performance. The reverse is true for a rev pipe. A torque pipe will allow the KDX to pull hard off the bottom with a less abrupt mid range hit than the rev pipe. The rev pipe gives up some bottom end power and has a more abrupt, authoritative midrange hit and more top end power. Either pipe will make more power everywhere when compared to the stock pipe. "

It would be quite a bit simpler if you actually READ the posted links and info from other posts. Wouldn't waste so much ASCII reposting the same stuff. I guess I consider this penance for smarting off to people that don't at all deserve it..........:think:

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I've heard that if you rig up your camelbak tube directly up to your carb you can get more air on 60ft doubles, but only if you have a PC pipe... Just my .01.

LOL :yeehaw:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by kdxsam
"Loud Pipes Save Lives".
Please tell us where you live so when we lose all of our places to legally ride we can come over to your house, roost all over your front yard, piss your neighbors off and take incriminating pictures of you and the dog!

Grab a clue, LESS SOUND = MORE GROUND!

Greenrider26

Dec 30, 2002
Before you can race MX,you"ll need to put an FMF rev pipe, power core2 silencer,port the cylinder,change gearing,remove the airbox lid,stiffen the fork springs,remove the headlight+tailight assembly!!! WHY NOT JUST BUY A MX BIKE......

klx650r

Jan 3, 2002
I see no need in loud pipes, but I will have to strongly disagree that removing a silencer burns up the piston. I ran my bike this way for over six months, and it didn't hurt a thing.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Yours is a two-stroke??? But, this is the FOUR-stroke KDX site....you need to be on the OTHER KDX site, the one for two-stroke KDX's......

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
KDX Freestyle,
I have been keeping up on your posts and I must say it's been interesting to see how the drama is unfolding. When I registered I posted a few threads and soon found out that most if not all the questions i posted had been covered. But, the other users were very kind and told me the sites to go to and the links to check out that would ans. my questions in detail. This Christmas I upgraded to a subscriber member and am already asking for a Lifetime Sponsor memebership for next Christmas (and am looking forward to DW03 to meet all these good people). I say all that to say this - The people on this site know what they are talking about. They have solved my repairs and only from a brief discription. But I also took the time to research and respond with specific and detailed questions. These people will give you years of FREE and EXCELLANT advice. So, Keep asking questions, just do more research first (check out FMF or PC web page, they will tell you everything you need). One of the best communication skills one can obtain is the ability to listen and apply.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
KDXFreestyle,

I agree with Midhigh. I joined DRN about 2 months ago and right away asked two question - one about handlebars and one about a service manual. I didn't know at the time that there was a search function I could use to find answers to these questions. After a few people were kind enough to respond to my questions, someone said something about the search option (one of the options in the menu at the top). I did two quick searches for handlebars and service manuals and found the same answers to the questions I had already asked. In the two months I've been using this forum, I've seen the same questions asked numerous times. Often when someone asks a question that was just asked a week or two prior, someone will respond suggesting the person perform a search on the topic. It doesn't take that long to do a search and most of the answers are already there. If you don't know how to do a search, just ask. But please don't be in such a hurry to find quick answers that you disrespect these very insightful and helpful people by continuing to ask questions that they've just answered.

In response to your question about which pipe is best for MX...go with either the Pro Circuit or the FMF rev pipe. The Gnarly pipe doesn't help top end, which is usually what you need most for MX. I hope that helps! Again, the people here on DRN are very helpful and usually quite patient...but you can wear out your welcome. Please learn to use the search function and take the time to research for yourself. You will learn more if you do the footwork!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
FreestyleKDX there are some simple rules and basic courtesies you need to start following. I STRONGLY suggest you post a question ONCE and I strongly recommend you either read through or spell check before submitting your posts. People on this forum are giving freely of their time to help fellow KDX owners, don’t make them work so hard. There is a wealth of information in this forum, using the search function or looking through previous posts will reward you with the answer to most of your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom