plainjoe

Oct 16, 2006
Hi everyone I am looking for some advice on a bike. Here are the required details:

1) physical size - 6', 190lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I ride the street agressive, and I like to play contact sports???
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? - I plan on riding some tracks, but more so trails and with friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience? - I have minimal dirt experience, and about 5 years street experience on sportbikes.
5) Do you think you will race ? - I won't be racing at all.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? - I am mechanically inclined and will probably do most of the maintenance on my bike.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - No preference here.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Suzuki dealer down the street. I feel pretty comfortable going there.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? I am open here. I would like to get something reliable to start with, plus I need to get some gear so I was thinking <$5000.
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion - Not really. I was just hoping for some honest opinions.

Thanks in advance!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
At your height and weight I would recommend a 250 2 stroke or 450 4 stroke. Pick a color, any color.

Given your relative lack of experience on dirt, a 250 4 stroke or maybe a KTM 200, 250, 300 would be nice as well.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I'd steer you to a 250 2-stroke moto-cross bike. Choose any color you like, they're all good. You can find a decent 2-3 year old one for $2000-$3000. If the bike was been maintianed properly, the biggest future maintenence cost might be a top end; around $150 (piston, rings, gaskets, wristpin, wristpin bearing) and possibly a clutch for $40 (Tusk brand) to $150 (EBC kevlar race clutch).

A motocross bike will grow with you as you gain more confidence/skill and get more aggressive. A motocross bike can be ridden in the trails, but try clearing a 30 foot table top on an overweight and undersprung trail bike, not fun.

As far as gear goes, I'd suggest searching online stores for last years models and close outs. Motorsprots Outlet, Bobs and Rocky Mountain ATV come to mind. Some will disagree with me, but you can buy an almost "obsolet" new helmet for half price. Helmets are rated for 5 years of service ie.. dot/snell95, dot/snell2000, dot/snell 2005. As the helmet ages, manufacturers need to dump them. In theory, a helmet has a "shelf" life of 5 years and/or should be discarded after the first crash. I personally see nothing wrong with a dot/snell 2000 helmet that is brand new and has been kept in a climate controled warehouse.

Helmet; Bottom line, buy the newest and best helmet your budget can afford, one that is DOT/SNELL rated. Features to look for, adjustable visor, venting, removable lining and cheek pads for ease of cleaning.

Boots; Get a good pair of middle of the road boots, leather with aluminum buckles. Stay away from entry level $100-$150 boots with plastic buckles. Older A-star tech 6's and Fox forma Pro's can be found for $150-$200.

Jersey, Pants, and gloves; Pick a brand/color you like. Again, look for middle of the road closeouts. Entry level stuff seems less durable.

Goggles; Pick what you like in your price range. I prefer Scott but the foam wears out after a year of use and cleaning. A buddy has Pro-Grip and they look to be very good quality, foam/fit/finish/durability.

Additional items: I'd strongly urge getting chest protector, a set of knee protectors and elbow pads.
A kidney/back belt is helpful as well.

A bike stand is usefull for maintenence too. Keep the bike clean and well maintained and it will reward you with trouble free riding all season long.

Good luck, Steve.

Top Bottom