jelly bean

Jun 26, 2007
Hi,
I need some help choosing a bike. I'm about 5'6" at 125lbs and dont want to spend anymore than $2000.00 on a nice used bike. I do mostly trail riding right now but want something bigger and faster than my xr100r. How does a 125 2 stroke do on gas compared to a 250 trail 4 stroke? Would a kdx or ktm 200 trail bike fit my size pretty good? Are ktm 300's pretty good?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jan 3, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Two strokes suck gas. Depending on how you ride, I would expect a four stroke of the same horsepower (which roughly translates into twice the displacement) to get twice the MPG.

Does it really matter that much to you? Unless you are intending to take some long trail rides where you will be a long way from camp I wouldn't expect that the MPG of the bike would matter to you that much.

All the major brand bikes are "pretty good". The terrain (desert/forest/track) you ride and how aggressive you are will favor one style of bike over another. Give us more information and we can help you more.

Rod

jelly bean

Jun 26, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'6" at 125lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
pretty aggressive but not to much...
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience?
yeah. lots
5) Do you think you will race ?
probably not
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
im learning and my dad can work on it
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
i like honda but really dont care
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
yeah
11) Your age?

Jan 3, 2007
kawicam250, it happens some times.

jelly bean, i think a KDX or XR would be good but on the heafty side. I nother opion would be a would be a CRF150R with some trail tunning.

jelly bean

Jun 26, 2007
I like the kdx 200's. What is a good price for one of those? Whats a good price for a xr250 or something. My dad doesnt wanna get me a 150r because he say's their too loud?? how loud are they really?

Thanks for the help

jelly bean

Jun 26, 2007
We do alot of pretty long trail rides where we dont stop at a gas station for like 70 miles and when we go up north to the U.P. riding its an even longer stretch... Plus we dont wanna have to put gas in it like every 3 days at the price of gas right now...

Thanks

rmc_olderthandirt said:
Two strokes suck gas. Depending on how you ride, I would expect a four stroke of the same horsepower (which roughly translates into twice the displacement) to get twice the MPG.

Does it really matter that much to you? Unless you are intending to take some long trail rides where you will be a long way from camp I wouldn't expect that the MPG of the bike would matter to you that much.

All the major brand bikes are "pretty good". The terrain (desert/forest/track) you ride and how aggressive you are will favor one style of bike over another. Give us more information and we can help you more.

Rod

jelly bean

Jun 26, 2007
up to $2000.00
nope
11) Your age?
13, gunna be 14 in like 2 weeks
i want something that doesnt have to be ran wide open all the time but if i want it to i would like to go fast.

sorry i forgot to fill that part out. maybe this will help?

Top Bottom