toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
I just finished painting the frame on my '00 KDX and the paint seems to scrape of easier than it should. Is there anything that I can spray on over top that will form a hard, clear coat that will protect the paint underneath? First I put on a coat of grey primer and then I used PJ1 silver paint and put on about 4 layers. The paint has had about 4 days to cure but it still doesnt seem to be like it should. I spayed light coats and didnt spray again untill the last one was dry. Could it be because my garage is cold, so that affectsa it somehow? thanks.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
What type of prep work did you do to the frame.. Scuff sand it and wipe in with Prep Solve or lacquer thinner. Well typically your not suppose to paint if the ambient temp is lower then 65 when using rattle cans.. So it could be that or improper prep also you could of sprayed each coat to thin.. this will also give a brittle surface. But to answer your question.. your can use a poly urethane clear coat.. That gives a good hard surface.. but you should break the top coat to get good adhesion between them.. So pick up a can of Prep Solve at like a Nappa Auto or any place the sell PPG paints will have it and the clear. Good luck hope this helps.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i have a furnace in my garage so while i was spraying the paint on i would turn the heat up to 20*C (which it recomends) then i'd turn the heat off once the paint waas dry to the touch. but its too expensive to kepp the furnace on all the time out there. the paint looks fine, like its not cracking or peeling it just doesnt seem to be curing. and i sanded down the frame and got rid of the dirt but i didnt strip off the paint or use lacquer. ill try that urethane coat but what do u mean that i should break the top coat?

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
By that I mean.. Soften so the clear coat will bite and stick to the paint better. All you have to do is wipe it with Prep Solve and a rag then spray urethane. That all.. But if this you think it's not cured fully try the Prep Solve on small spot like where the tank will hide it... It should not remove any paint. Or just clear coat it. If I were you I'd heat the garage up shut off the furnace spray the frame then ventilate it.. And then re heat it. You don't want the have accidental explosion.. Be careful.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom