Im trying to decide how to paint my tank?

Jun 12, 2005
I have found out acouple ways to paint my tank and i want to no what would get the best results and if you would like to describe how your paintjob turned out that would be great. If i miss anything feel free to fill in. Right now i have my tank stripped of all paint and cleaned with comet soap and a degreaser and sanded with 150 grit. ok the first painting method is using fusion kypton. So ive heard before painting with fusion paint i should use acetone on the tank. Is this correct? So say i use acetone and then spray 4-5 coats and let dry for what? a week or even more? The next way is using plastic adhesive promoter with a urathane paint. Spray the tank with the adhesive let it sit for 5 mins then apply the urathane paint with 4-5 coats. And then theres vinyl dye but ive read that it doesnt turn out to well. So i would like to hear your 2 cents. And add anything that helps. Thanks alot i would like to get started painting tomoro.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Egg shell is more durable than a flat latex. I would go with a medium nap on the roller. :)

:rotfl:

never painted a tank, but some seem to have good success with the Krylon Fusion. After the day I've had here at work, I couldn't resist the chance to make a wise crack.

woody 67

Oct 17, 2005
Why not go to your local sign shop and buy some vinyl it comes in about a million different colors and sticks well to plastic . I have a old 83 Cr 250 that I 'm trying to dress up the tank with some carbon fibre looking vinyl . There is a good article on how to install vinyl in Transworld Motorcross ( november 2005) .

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Stickers will eventually bubble on a plastic tank, pretty sure any kind of paint will too.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would only paint a tank with clearcoat. And then put your graphics over it.
The clearcoat can help to keep the gas from permeating to the graphics.

I rarely do this, as I beat the heck out of ALL my tank graphics anyway. [I'm not fast, just rough, I spose (shrug)]
But...I know it works.

I painted my front number plate white (stock Yammy blue). I used the Fusion stuff and so far, It has worked better than anything I have tried on plastic. And I WILL paint some plastic...but see, I aint too proud, and when the paint chips off, it's no biggie to me...but to the bling parade riders, I wouldn't suggest painting any plastic.

I painted my Orange KTM front number plate black. Now that it is chipping and peeling nicely, I have that fancy black/orange motiff goin' on. :)

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I used the Kyrlon Fusion on my tank, that said, it didn't work too well. I have a red tank, but its all faded and whitish, i drained the tank and fine sanded, painted it, and it bubbled horribly. I tried it on my fender, it turned out pretty well, it would quite stick in some places, but i think thats more of a user malfunction on my part. I wasn't looking for the professional look anyway, especially not after someone let the dog out and he knocked it over, you cant really see the small runs next to the grass marks in the paint.... I think that i'm going to try and dye my tank, there seems to be a lesser chance of someone messing it up. I've heard about people having success in using Rit dye on the KDX tanks. If anyone cares to chime in on exactly how to do this, i'd luv ya forever... LOL. Good luck.

Jun 12, 2005
I just painted my tank heres wat i did. Removed all the paint, sanded with 150 grid, washed with Comet soap, washed with a degreaser, then right before i painted washed with acetone mixed with water, then i painted in thin layers. I followed all the directions on the back of the can. sprayed thin layers waited 30 seconds between layers and did this for 5-6 layers.

Jun 12, 2005
Just put it back on the bike and looks pretty good but got a bit scratched up in some places while putting it on. If i go riding tomorrow ill put gas in but if i dont im not gona put gas in untill next weekend.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
I never tried painting as I crash too often and if I can bend Pro Taper bars I would surely scratch the new paint job. On a 94CR with the white tank I got some vinyl from DecalWorks or similar that is the same thickness of shroud graphics (30 mil I think) but has holes of about 1/16" every 1/2" or so. This let the fumes bleed through.
I cleaned it with alcohol, used a hair dryer and it lasted for the year I abused it and at least for a year for the next guy.
Cost about $30 for 3 sheets of 16" square material.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
pyrofreak said:
I tried it on my fender, it turned out pretty well, it would quite stick in some places, but i think thats more of a user malfunction on my part.
When we see an area that the paint seems to run away from, it is what's called as cratering or fisheye.
I can tell you for absolute certain that if you have EVER used WD-40 or similar type product that contains silicone to keep mud off your fender, it will have effected the surface of the material so that paint will not adhere properly no matter what.
It is absolutely necessary that the surfaces be prepared properly before you paint. All traces, and I mean all, of silicone need to be gone. Several cleans with acetone or denatured alcohol may be required.

Silicone is a serious enemy of paint of all sorts.
A silicone filled electrical device was opened by a maintenance man at a Toyota car plant, and the silicone that entered the atmosphere from opening the device caused the whole paint shop full of vehicles to crater.
The device was also on the inside of an enclosed work area...however the paint shop had a positive air flow that the shop was included in, so the silicone molecules were carried throughout the paint shop, ruining paint jobs by landing on the vehicles prior to being painted.
Amazing, but true.

Jun 12, 2005
Yah i cleaned my tank with comet soap,a degreaser, and acetone so it should of been clean enough. Now im waiting the required 7days before use for it to completely dry. So next weekend i am going to fill the tank up but leave the gas cap loose when i store the bike. I also put on the fmf fatty so i cant wait till next weekend when i can try it out.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Your best bet would be to drain the fuel into a metal container, then put it back it when you do ride.
Leaving the gas cap off will do nothing but help the fuel degrade further. It will still permeate through the plastic of the tank, cap off or not.

Top Bottom