Need suggestions for trimming seat foam...

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
I am thinking about trimming my seat foam a little so I can reach the ground in really tight, slow places on trails. But I'm not sure how to go about it, or what tool(s) would work best for this. :think: So, how do you do it and has anyone had any totally negative effects from doing this?
B.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I cut the seat foam on my KX500 and my boy's KX85. No adverse effects, we're please with the results.

I used big knives. An eletric knife is nice but a big old serrated blade will work. Some people use a big cheese grater. I've even read of someone using one of those big electric cut off/angle grinders.

You'll need a good staple gun to put it all back together.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I've done several seats and have had the best luck with an electric knife with a serrated blade. Follw that up with some light sanding to smooth and get the exact contour you want. As stated above, a GOOD staple gun is needed to install the seat cover. If you use a cheap one, you will be pulling your hair out by the time it's done.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Thanx guys. I'll give it a try next week after I find a good staple gun and a good blade.
B.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I found an angle grinder to work quite nicely. Bit messy.

Don't even waste your money on a staple gun unless it is air powered.
Folks will tell you they do fine with a hand gun...I say they are either lying, or on drugs! :)

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
To use a hand staple gun you have to have real fortituted, or true grit. Hold it tight to the surface with both hands --- very straight and square (not in the drug sense, necessarily). Kneel on the seat to keep it perfectly still. Hold your tongue in the seven o'clock position. Then shoot.

If that doesn't work, buy a medium crown air stapler, drop some acid, and go into business.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Jaybird said:
Folks will tell you they do fine with a hand gun...I say they are either lying, or on drugs! :)

I find that if I snort some crystal meth before I start...... :yikes:

maddmack

Dec 7, 2004
I use an electric bread knife I picked up a garage sale . I have done about 300 seats and it works every time

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…