know_fear

May 19, 2000
I crunched my FMF Gnarly ('00 KDX220R) almost to the point where it wouldn't run. At the moment I'm making plugs for the ends so I can try fixing it with an oxy/acetylene torch and my compresser feeding air thru one of the plugs. Can anyone give me some tips as to how high the air pressure should be, how hot the metal can be (cherry, dull cherry). Thanks in advance.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You are supposed to use nitrogen. What you are attempting is kinda dangerous. Why mess around when any pipe repair place or your loca bike shop will make it as good as new for $40.00 or so.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I agree with Lovell. Had my pipe fixed for $40 plus shipping. There are a number of them that advertise in the back of the mags. For the price, it is not worth messing with - there is likely some trial and error in doing this and this may take longer and with poorer results your first time. I was skeptical mine could be fixed. It came back great. They decarburize it also if you ask them.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
Thanks guys but I must explore new horizons. To boldly go where no backyard mech has gone before! Pushing.......constantly pushing. This is my curse/blessing! Sorry. Got carried away. I'll let you know how it turns out if I don't blow myself up. Now, where's that gas to rinse out the carbon........

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Give this a try... Plug one end of the pipe fill with water completely then cap other end tight. Pop it into the old freezer. Check from time to time.. The water will freeze and push the dent up. Depending on how bad the dent it you might have to do it a couple times. But it's way safer then use a torch and air. You can use drain test plugs to seal the ends.

chowder6

Dec 16, 2002
i did mine using compressed air and torch...steady air around 25-30p.s.i....heated it up til red....worked good, but it is dangerous....i had the plug shoot out of pipe at around 300 mph....make sure its not pointing at anyone(obviously).... if u must attempt it, good luck!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
when fixing my pipes I prefer to cut them in half with a hacksaw ,straighten it over the horn of an anvil, and then weld it back together.

MREED

Feb 16, 2003
I do mine by using a 1.5 inch pipe plug(with a rubber center) on the end that goes into the engine side of the pipe and weld a 3/4 inch coupling to the small end. I then install a 3/4 ball valve with a air coupling to plug in the air line. I use about 80psi but the ball valve lets you put the air in in small amounts. I try to apply the heat to the outside of the dent and work inward. If the damaged area is a crease you well need to heat allmost to the point of melting. but be careful. wear safty glasses and a face shield. If you take your time you can get most any dent out. Once I'm done I take a thin cut off wheel on a grinder and cut off the coupling. (cutting more of the coupling than the pipe.) then I take a die grinder and clean up the end. Thats how I do it. If you can find another way to plug the ends and get air pressure in it try it. Like chowder6 said this is dangerous. Good luck, Mack

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom