shifty69

Jan 21, 2002
ok, im new to dirtbiking and my friends are all gettin bikes, i cant afford 1 rite now but my 1 friend has 2 bikes and sed i can ride his rm80. a couple weeks ago he sed he'd teach my to ride, the 1st time i started the bike i stayed in 1st and just went around his yards and then went to a trail. he expected i knew everything and i started and was goin real slow so i gave it gas and i dunno wut i did but i flipped it, i think i dumped the clutch. what i am asking is some how, teach me to ride over the internet so next time we go ill know wut im doin and not get made fun of for flippin the bike. like how to use the clutch, etc. i am just makin 1 thread cuz i dont wanna take up a bunch of space on this board and piss people off... thanks

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
this has got to be the most vague topic on the net. people on this site could fill up more space than you could probably think of responding to this topic. instead of trying to answer this myself, i'd say look for previous topics on here talking about things like turning, and other basics. gather what info you can like that and whatever you can't find then ask.

just trying to help you narrow it down so we can all help you better.

by the way, welcome to the sport of dirtbiking and dirtrider. don't worry about pissing people off, the people on this site are very helpful and nice.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
That's really too broad of a subject to go into. You'll get better responses if you ask more specific questions, like, "What's the best / fastest way to let out the clutch when taking off from a standing start?"

BTW, don't let trying to keep up with others or trying to look faster than you are make you try things you shouldn't. You can't learn while you're hurt (and your friend won't let you keep riding the bike if you keep crashing it).

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
If your friend is allowing you to use his bike, then why is he not explaining/teaching you? If you looped my bike I would try to make sure that you know what you doing so it doesn't happen again. No one is going to teach you to ride over the 'net. Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

1. I see I forget.
2. I read I remember.
3. I do I KNOW.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by Vytas

1. I see I forget.
2. I read I remember.
3. I do I KNOW.
Thats what my geometry teacher says:eek: and try a search like crkid said and you probably will come up with some good stuff.:D

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Never did take geometry, but I did do pretty well in Differential Equations. :p
I agree that there is a wealth of knowledge floating around on this site, but reading on how to start a motorcycle from a stop is about as useful as reading how to perform brain surgery and trying out what you read. If your friend is letting you ride his bike, then put on some boots, a helmet, and be prepared to do a lot of kicking to restart the bike. This is the only way to LEARN!!!

ride_red_15

Uhhh...
Oct 14, 2001
like gomer said, dont worry about keeping up...when i got my first bike i couldnt keep up with any of my friends, and now after practicing and not being stupid and crashing like the did, i smoke them all....badly...so just take it slow

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
When I first started I had nobody to keep up with.My dad taught me how to start off and use the clutch and some other stuff, but since he quit riding when he was in his late teens,I had to teach myself most of the basics and stuff not to do and what to do and taught myself some good lessons.:eek: :)

shifty69

Jan 21, 2002
he let me ride his 125 kx, its a 91. i started it my second try and after about 10 feet it ran outa gas, lol, he tried to syphon it through a straw through my other friends bike, but that didnt work to well.
he's startin to show me wut to do cuz he dont want another cracked fender, i've been lookin into yz's and they look pretty nice but how do they run?
and i need some info on what not to do so i dont flip another bike.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Don't dump the clutch. Let it out slow. If the front end does come up pull in the clutch. Learn the basics - speed comes with experience.;)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
First things first...

Don't try to learn on an RM80! Save your nickles and dimes and buy a bike that suits your skills. I would suggest an XR100 or something along that line.

shifty69

Jan 21, 2002
i'm about 5 foot 10 and weigh about 170, wouldnt i grow out of an xr 100 real fast.i dont like 4 strokes that much but my other friend has an xr100 and i can probly learn on that, and by the time i have the money for a bike ill already no how to ride, hopefully.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
You will grow out of an RM just as fast as an XR. I am just saying that the RM is a little extreme for a beginner. If you don't like the four stroke then you should think about a KDX. Just my $.02. Well $.04 counting the last $.02 above.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
If you want to learn how to ride, start on an older bike that can take a beating. A lot of people start with a brand new bike. I advise not to do that because you may not like it after a while. Also with older bikes you learn to apreciate the newer bikes you buy. After you have a bike that suits you, start off in an open field where you aren't going to hurt anything. Ride for a day or two in that field until you get the hang of the clutch, gas, brakes, etc.
:D :)

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
I can help you. Do a web search on Rick Seiman or Super Hunky. He knows how to teach someone to ride on the internet. He was the original editor of Dirt Bike magazine and knows all about riding all kinds of dirt bikes. He does an advice column at offroad.com. I am sure that if you send him the exact question that you started this thread with, he will fix you right up.

P.S. he taught me how to ride on the internet back in 1971.:D

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
:cool: Yup i had fun today! Ridin in the mud and snow..
Grip the tank with your knees and pull up on the handle bars and push down on the pegs to get better traction.And look ahead, not right in front of your fender..I think i need better tires though,, these stock tires are worthless....
Have Fun! See Ya....

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I've got a great little book that came with my first bike called... well i dont remember what its called but it has exactly the type of information your looking for.

No one in my family rides and i taught myself with this little book

email me at dell30rb@hotmail.com or PM me with your address and i would be more than happy to send it to you as I no longer need it (for free, of course)

MaryLiz

Feb 8, 2002
My husband chose the XR100 for me as my first bike, knowing that I would soon outgrow it and move to a bigger bike.

I have seen other people start out on bigger bikes, but I truly required a smaller, gentler bike because I was very weak following a car accident. Just starting the thing was difficult, but motorcycling was the perfect way to keep getting stronger when I got bored after three years (!) of physical therapy. I rode slowly and got passed a lot.

Now I can start the thing no problem, and I can drag it around by the frame if I have to. I have become almost bored with this little bike, but I still love it because it has taught me a lot.

My case was extreme, and I still consider myself just a beginner, but I feel confident recommending to other beginners that they master the basics with a smaller 4-stroke and then move on when they feel ready.

Honda250r

Feb 14, 2002
I remember my first bike. 84 cr60. It was the most reliable bike I have ever seen in my entire life. I owned it for 3 years, riding every chance I could and never once did a top-end. I was only like 11, wasnt to much of a mechanic then. I didnt even have to learn I just hopped on and rode. Guess some people are more natural riders. That little bike was a sceramer to. I would guarantee a top speed of 60. Best bike i ever owned aside from my cr 250 now.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
the new xr250 is a good bike. it has good power for when you get more comfortable riding dirtbikes but it still isnt ashard hitting as some bigger bikes.

Top Bottom