never set foot on bike, what do i get?

djphatbeats

May 7, 2006
my friend is planning on purchasing a new bike fairly soon. he has basicly no experince. see the thing is i mostly ride atv's and don't really know what he should get. he's about 5'6, wieghs about 130-140. he wants somthing that he can jump, and take on the trails. he was wanting a motocross 125, but im 99% sure thier too powerful. i was thinking maybe an 85cc 2 stoke, but they may also be a little to hard to get used to. so i finally found two bikes, crf230f, and the tt-r230, the suspension was a little better on the honda, so i figured this was a good bike for him. am i making the right desicion for him? :bang:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
While those would make decent field and trail bikes, and would be good to learn on. They are very unintimidating. Neither of which would be good for jumping. The 85 would probably be too small. He should look into the 250 thumpers. The power delivery is smoother than the 2strokes and they are easier to ride. I'm thinking the Yamaha WR250F or Honda CRF250X might be what your friend is looking for.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
FruDaddy said:
He should look into the 250 thumpers. The power delivery is smoother than the 2strokes and they are easier to ride.

I agree - with the caveat that if he is not good with maintenance, he might not want a 250 4 stroke - they're somewhat more complicated than a 2 stroke.

Top Bottom