New 03 KDX 220R

Bman007

Jan 25, 2004
Hello, just picked up a new 03 KDX220. I have already started the mods, Moose skid plate, Moose bark busters and Competion guards. Now for the FMF pipe and Silencer.

Has anyone seen a picture break down of the air box mod? Also does the KDX220 have grease fitting?

Thanks

KtownKDXer

Apr 11, 2002
Picture this:
Remove electronics from lid
Remove lid from bike.
Remove snorkel from lid.
Drop snorkel in trash can.
Clamp lid lightly in vise.
With 1/2 inch paddle bit, drill about 20 (or 21, whatever it takes) holes in lid.
Re-install lid and electronics.

When washing bike, remove lid, place small trash bag or equivalent size thin plastic over opening and re-install lid to hold plastic in place. This keeps spray that makes its way under your seat out of airbox.

Bman007

Jan 25, 2004
Airbox

Thanks for the advice....do i need to do anything with my jetting?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Check the archives - and also check FMF's site. If you went with an FMF, they have a jetting chart that will probably be spot on for average elevation 500-2000 feet. Anything up or down and you may have adjust.

I personally did not want that many holes in box - especially int he lower tray.

Picture this.

Leave the electrics in place.

Remove Snorkle (this eveyone aggrees on).

On the upper level of the airbox lid - drill 7 - 9, 3/4" holes with a paddle bit. After doing the math - it will double the air intake area. I didnt like the idea of having holes in the lower tray area - in MO - we have LOTS of water and water like substances to ride through. A few times after riding - I have mud water pooling int he lower tray portion.

This will not give you quite the airflow but it is a good compromise.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I chunked the whole airbox lid. The KDX does not have zerks. Open up your carb and pull the jets out and verify what is actually in there.... it's free.

Bman007

Jan 25, 2004
Front Number Plate

Hey...does anyone know what MX style number plate will fit the KDX220R? I'm looking for a black on white style...any aftermarket ones?

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Air box: chuck the entire lid assembly. As I was worried about water as well, I just put a few strips of duct tape across the front section of frame over the box and sides to keep excess water out. Relocated electronics box to side of air box; secured with a small zip tie.
Jetting: verify what actually came then adjust. Check the two stickies at the top of this forum, lots of great info there.
More questions: just ask. Lots of good help here.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…