The ultimate woods machine for under 3k?

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I am thinking of going with a used KDX220. I can find one for around 2K and they usually have pipe/silencer and bars already. So, I am thinking RB carb mod, 13/51 gearing, trials tire, and flywheel weight, and suspension mods. Of course you would have to include skid plate, pipe protector, bark busters, etc.

Or, how about the same bike with an autoclutch in stead of the flywheel weight?

Or, just buy a WR250. Oops did I say that?

Looking for a bike that will conquer the nasty Oregon coast range trails and be able to putt with kids, and do a few harescrambles, and hit the open Central Oregon terrain, and....

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I've been round and round with this myself. I have a 2001 KDX200 which is a nice bike but wanted something with more modern suspension and boost. I looked at all the 4 strokes...pretty nice but complicated and heavy. A 2 stroke MX bike is lighter and in my opinion, feels much lighter than my KDX. I wound up buying a mint KX250 that is set up for the woods, flywheel weight, skid plate, Tag bar, Magura hydraulic clutch, recent top end, nice graphic...lot of other extras for $2150.00. It's a nice upgrade from the KDX and the flywheel weight really smooths out the power. I like the simplicity of 2 strokes and don't really want my dirt bike to have the extra weight of a battery and electric starter. That's my .02 anyway. I'm still keeping my KDX for rocky techinical areas since I've got it geared like a trials bike.

Top Bottom