Headset

Jan 19, 2005
I have a new 05 220. I plan to go through the break in process this coming weekend and have a couple questions.

1. I have a FMF pipe and silencer as well as the Boysen reeds on hand. Does it matter if the bike is broken in stone stock, or can I break it in with pipe/silencer/reeds/air box mod in place?

2. I spoke with J Fredette who told me ( I hope I understood him correctly) that with the pipe/silencer/reed/air box mods, that I did not need to change jetting. But I am sure I remember needing to re jet when I made the same mods on the 96 200 I used to have.

Thanks very much

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Bradf is that method safe for breaking in two stroke engines? I was wondering about that because it states in the article "these principles apply to all 4 stroke engines:" and it never mentions two stokes. I would think that would be a quick way to grenade a piston in a two stroke.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Headset said:
I have a new 05 220. I plan to go through the break in process this coming weekend and have a couple questions.

1. I have a FMF pipe and silencer as well as the Boysen reeds on hand. Does it matter if the bike is broken in stone stock, or can I break it in with pipe/silencer/reeds/air box mod in place?

Thanks very much

Run it through a few heat - cool cycles. Then a milder 30 min ride with a load on it, let it cool completly and you'll be good to go. The heat/cooling is key. That other psycho rev it it til it screams style in the link is totally up to you but I won't do it. Stock jetting is rich so with the mods you compensate for that so you should be good to go other than maybe moving the needle to #2.

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
compression rings and cylinders don't know whether they belong to a 4-stroke or 2-stroke. Some 4-strokes rev higher than smokers. The only way to get the rings to push out and seat against the cylinder wall hone lines is to create cylinder pressure. Nowhere does the article say rev it till it screams, where did that come from?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
check out the jetting tips on canadian dave's Just KDX, and on fredette's website. Verify what jets your bike came with by physically looking at them. and go from there....
FYI, if you are running a pipe, and reeds you might wanna re-think running the stock piston

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
bradf said:
compression rings and cylinders don't know whether they belong to a 4-stroke or 2-stroke. Some 4-strokes rev higher than smokers. The only way to get the rings to push out and seat against the cylinder wall hone lines is to create cylinder pressure. Nowhere does the article say rev it till it screams, where did that come from?

And how do you create cylinder pressure?

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
go to link, look for this paragraph:
What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??

How Do Rings Seal Against Tremendous Combustion Pressure ??

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
I have a 2004 KDX 220R sitting in my garage waiting to get broken in. If it ever stops snowing here and we get a nice day I will definately do so.

I plan on following the owners manual for break-in procedure.

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
jetting

Remember jetting is an issue of air density. Depending on the altitude and air temp you are at will change how the bike runs ie lean or rich. I've got those mods on my bike and I run a 140 main, a 40 pilot, and dropped the needle one position. I'm riding at around 2000 feet with air temps around 65 -80 degrees. This seems to be the best set up for me!

Eric

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom