XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I'm 5'6" and 135 lbs. 16 yrs. old
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'd say medium agressiveness
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
In the woods, on trails, with friends. Just have some fun.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I've ridden bikes before but only a little. I've ridden my dad's playbike (Honda XR80) and my brother's Suzuki SP125. I still have room to learn a lot.
5) Do you think you will race ?
No. Not any time soon.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
My dad would do the mechanical work when needed.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No brand preference. I've never ridden a 2-stroke before so I kinda ruled them out. I think I will get a 4-stroke.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I think there is a Honda dealer close and a Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer close.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Anywhere up to about $3000-$4000
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

What do you think about these bikes: Suzuki DR-Z125L, Yamaha TT-R125LE, Kawaskai KLX125. I've been looking at these because they look like good learner bikes and aren't too expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Su

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
While the 125 play bikes that you mentioned are good learning bikes, you will probably get bored with any of them pretty quickly. Look into their 230-250cc counterparts. And to save money, try to find a good used bike. Spend the extra cash on good safety gear.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks FruDaddy. I'll looking into some bigger bikes...its just that my step-dad has a Honda XR250R and it seems to set a little high for me. Maybe a 230 would sit a little lower? And what about the Honda CRF150's? Still too small?

matte1014

Sep 2, 2006
If you are looking at the smaller cc bikes I would go with the CRF150 over any of the 125's.. The 150 wieghs more but also is a little bigger and has more power than the 125's.. I beleive the 230's sit around 34 inches where the 150 is around 32 and the 125's are less than that..

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
matte1014 said:
If you are looking at the smaller cc bikes I would go with the CRF150 over any of the 125's.. The 150 wieghs more but also is a little bigger and has more power than the 125's.. I beleive the 230's sit around 34 inches where the 150 is around 32 and the 125's are less than that..
Yeah. I really like the CRF150R, but it has a price tag of around $4,500 new. I liked the 125's because of their low prices brand new.

BTW, off topic, does the Yamaha TT-R line with the electric starters have back up kick starters?

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Well I had $4000 to spent I go for the CRF150R in heartbeat, Why let see it power output is about 23 horsepower and has far better suspensions and disc brake all way round and it water cooled but it only down side is fuel capacity or as 2nd option the lower cost CRF150F which is tab better suspensions then 125cc, 125cc only output about 8 hosepower where the CRF150F is at 11.5 horsepower stock.
Yes Yamaha TT-R 90 and up have electric starters have back up kick starters

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks a lot SHSPVR. I really like the CRF's and the cool thing is, my parents both work at Honda in Anna, Ohio. So, if they buy through their "purchase program" I could get a discount.

And thats good to know about the TTR's. An electric starter without a kickstart is bad news.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
At 5'4" my wife can easily ride the TTR230, so you would be OK as far as height. Now, if both of your parents work at Honda, odds are you will be riding red.
The CRF230F has a 34.1" seat height, which is comparable to the TTR230's 34.3". Remember that your weight will compress the suspension a bit. The Honda MSRP is a couple hundred more than the Yami, but if you buy on a discount, it'll probably be a wash. They both fall below your $4G ceiling. It doesn't look like the Honda has a backup kicker though.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
FruDaddy your wife must be long legg I'm 5.4 and I can't seat flat footed on CRF230F nor a TTR230, Yup that rigth CRF150F and CRF230F are electric starter only but you could also posh start it and it maybe possable add back the kick start from older CRF model which did have kick starter.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I think that she was on the balls of her feet, which, IMO is where you want to be on a dirt bike. The point was simply, that she could easily ride the bike, it wasn't too tall.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
FruDaddy said:
At 5'4" my wife can easily ride the TTR230, so you would be OK as far as height. Now, if both of your parents work at Honda, odds are you will be riding red.
The CRF230F has a 34.1" seat height, which is comparable to the TTR230's 34.3". Remember that your weight will compress the suspension a bit. The Honda MSRP is a couple hundred more than the Yami, but if you buy on a discount, it'll probably be a wash. They both fall below your $4G ceiling. It doesn't look like the Honda has a backup kicker though.
I think that I could ride a 230, I just woiuldn't feel as comfortable as I would on a lower sitting bike. My step-dad has a Honda XR250R and I can sit on it and balance on my toes, but I wouldn't feel that confident or comfortable riding it. Thats why I am opting for a 125-150 to gain some confidence and experience on, and so I can have some fun and toss it around a little. I think I just need to head over to some dealerships and size up the bikes myself.

Also, does the CRF150R have a backup kick starter? It looks like maybe it does in the high res picture on honda's website but i don't know for sure...

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
SHSPVR said:
CRF150R is kick starter only
Good deal. I like that bike alot, but being brand new this year, do you think it would have some problems arise later on, as apposed to a model that has been produced for years?

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I think it should be a safe buy if thats what I decide on when I take a look at it at the dealer. Plus, if I can find it on a floor for $4000, I can knock that down to $3600 with my parents employee discount.

Top Bottom