May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

I made another thread about buying KX250, and while I think it has its place on the track (would be HELL of a lot of fun) I decided that it is too quick for what I would like to do (trail ride, putting around sometimes).

About me: I'm 16, around 5'6, 130 (still growing). I have owned a KLX125, ridden a KX85 a lot, and ridden an OLD KDX a little (wouldn't even call it experience).

Anyway, I'm in the market for sometime for mostly trail and field riding. Sometimes it will be wide open, sometimes it will get more technical (hills, tight trails, rocks, mud, et cetera). I have up to about $2500ish to spend, and was looking at the newer (post 2002) Kawasaki bikes. The three I'm looking at are the KX125, KDX200, and the KX250F.

Questions:

Will the KX125 be too hard to control on some of the trails I wish to ride on? How about the newer KDX. What are they like (give me LOTS of details :blah: )?

I haven't been on the KX250F. What does that feel like?

Out of the three, which would you recommend for me?

Thanks!!!!

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
The kdx would be a good choice, also you may want to look into a klx300, If I had the money I would buy the klx as an extra bike to ride with my girlfriend. After doing some reading they seem pretty tuff and low maint compared to the mx four strokes, they can be had cheap sometimes too.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
the KX125 would be the best bike for your height/weight and it can be ridden effectively on trails, i used to do it on mine. plus, theyre going dirt-cheap right now. my friend is selling his '04 KX125( in Charlotte, NC) for about $2500obo, if youre interested, post here, my e-mail has been counting all incoming e-mails as spam so i cant read them.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well... Actually the KDX200 would be the best.

KDX200: It is MADE for the trails. it has good low end grunt for the hills But the power to go fast on the wide open areas. It has ok suspension for jumps. It is also a 2-stroke which makes it easy to maintain and repair. And it is almost bulletproof. There is also a good aftermarket backing for the bike. And it would get good gas mileage. And it even comes with a light!

KX125: its made for Mx but it can be ridden on the trails. it would have great suspension, and power. BUT you have to be on the pipe. it doesn't have that great of a bottom end but it will do what you want it to do. It would be great for trial riding with some modifications like reeds/pipe for bottom end. and a skid plate so you don't hurt the engine. and some brush guards. And it can be a little much for trials, but you shouldn't have a problem. it doesn't come with a light. And you MIGHt be able to put one on it. And it wont get that good of gas mileage.

KX250F: This would also be a good trails bike. Bit its 4-stroke power And easy to handel powerban, and low end grunt. And soft suspension for the bumps and terrain you might encounter. It would also be easily modified to make it even better of a trail bike with a skid plate, and maybe a light and some brush guards. And you would be set for riding. BUT with a 4-stroke Mx bike like this there comes ALOT of maintenance which can get expensive and time consuming. And performance parts for it don't come cheap. And the whole bike itself is expensive. and it would get good gas mileage.

Now i wasted all my free time in class to type this so you better appreciate it! :laugh: :cool:

May 9, 2006
I do!! Thanks!!

And good job making use of your class time. :nener:

I think I'll buy any of the 3 if I can find one at a good price. But my first choice would probably be the KX250f, then the KDX.

Oh, what kind of maintenance are we talking with the KX250f? Like, engine rebuilds? Even if I don't beat on it? I always baqby my motor vehicles. :nod:

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
the KXF will have much more maintenance than the other 2. elcamino: he's only 5'6'', he probably doesnt want something as big as the KDX is both ways at his age, plus he'll be visiting the track every now and then, the KX125, as i said before can be used effectively on trails, thats the only place i used to ride until i discovered MX :p . i was 5'6'' when i rode trails with my KX125, and i felt comfortable and able to take on anything. the KXF is more money up front than the other two and will be maintenance, you probably wont like it very much once you discover how complex a 4-stroke MX engine is.

IMHO: the KX125 would be the better choice of the 3.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
The KX250f will be reshimming the vavles ever 15 hours no matter what (2 hours work firt time.., about an hour after you know how to..). Then engine rebilds after about 2 years. And some more. Im not really sure, never had a 4 stroke. But if you blow the WHOLE top end it can cost about a grand to fix.. Maby more, maby less depending on the damage.

the otehr two will require spark plugs, oil shcnges, and a new top end every year (about $100 and 2 hours of work...) 2 strokes are easier..

i would go KX125 then KDX if you plan on ever going to the track., If its just trails KDX then KX125.. Or which ever you find first.. But you will really want a skidplate if you get a KX125 or KX250F'

have fun

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i've heard a KX125 in the trails can be a handful sometimes as you have to be on pipe and clutching it alot because it has very little bottom end. but they are a nice bike. i would go with either the KX250F or KX125. i have an 82 KDX 175 and its ok in the trails but heavy. personally my next bike will be a KX250 and i will only be riding in the trails and fields.

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
KDX for play riding or trails for sure. I grew up on KDX 200's and am still faster in the woods on that bike than my 02 kx250. You'll have to learn to turn with the rear of the bike if you buy the KX compared with the KDX. At least from my experience it seems that the bikes designed for woods, trails, or play riding require a lot less effort to ride effectively than a moto-oriented bike in similar situations. Be honest with yourself regarding your needs over your wants or desires and you'll be much happier. Good luck and may the force be with you.....

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Hard to beat a KDX200 for what you describe for the reasons mentioned above. And I say that after having owned a KLX300. These are essentially Kawi's version of an XR250. They are heavy and have their known weaknesses that cost quite a bit to correct (revalve shock, re-spring forks, pumper carb, new headpipe since old one was carryover from KLX250, etc.).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom