tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Hi folks. I have been thinking about getting an '03 model bike (not sure exactly which one yet) and getting rid of my '01 YZ250. I am almost 40, and decent rider (mostly play on the track with the kids). The bike is still like new, as I am very anal about upkeep. Here's my dilemma: I am wondering if I should buy a new one, or spend some money customizing my '01 to my riding style. I am thinking along the lines of sending my top end to Eric for boring to a bigger size and porting for a "bottom end type of guy". I would also have my suspension revalved for my riding style. Plus all the other stuff, like plastic, chain & sprockets, tires.
I figure I could get top dollar for my bike with the condition it is in, add $2000 - $2500 and replace it, or spend $1500 or so on it so it fits me like a glove. Which would be the wise choice? Of course I would like to have a new one and also have the mods done, but I don't have that kind of money. As it is, I would have to spend at a a very minimum $500 on the new bike for a chain, bars, tires and heavier springs ( I am #220, not #165 ). I just want to have the best bike for me.
Thanks in advance,
Tri-mx'er

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
Tri-mx'er -

if you get your yz ported and valved, it will smoke anything in the dealer's showroom.

the mods you listed will make your yz FEEL like a completely different bike, and if you change colors on you plastic everyone else will think it's new.

i say keep your "old" bike (i couldn't say an 01 is "old" and still repect myself in the morning)

jeremiah

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
FWIW, I went through the same decision making as what you are in.. I redid the old one, which was nice but I still wanted a new bike. I ended up selling my revamped bike shortly after.. Keep in mind that if you spend $2k on the bike, it won't be worth much more if any at all more when you go to sell it than what it's currently worth.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You make a FANTASTIC point!! With all the talk about new fourstrokes its easy to forget how important it is that what ever bike you ride should "fit you like a glove"!!
Couple of quick questions that I would ask myself if I were in your shoes: 1. Did you buy the bike (your YZ) brand new (you know how the bike has been cared for since new)? 2. Are you sure that you dont have "gotta have a new bike eyedis".
If you bought the bike new and have provided thourough maintenance and like the performance/handling charecteristics in its present form it would be in your best interest to followup with personal customizing!! However, if, after examining your own heart (no one here at DRN knows your real intrensic reasoning) you find that you are just DIEING for that NEW bike thrill there is no way that can be accomplished with customizing!!
Making a bike fit you is a level that a lot of people NEVER acheive - partly because it does cost but more so because there is a constant barrage of really cool new stuff being flashed before or eyes!! That and the fact that there is NOTHING like owning a BRAND NEW DIRTBIKE!!!!!!
Who am I fooliing, I would sell that YZ250 and have a BRAND NEW CRF450 in my garage so fast the neighbors woudnt even realize the garage door had opened and closed!!
Guess you know where my "intrensic reasoning" is at!
Woodsy
Oh by the way, I am 215 pounds, 6'1" and that new CRF fits me like a glove right out of the crate!! If you havent ridden one DO IT!!

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
No doubt about it, all the mods in the world are not gonna cure the "just gotta have a new one" syndrome. I did buy the '01 new, and I have complete faith that it is in pristine condition inside and out. It would be an easy decision if the bike was a few years older, or at least in rougher shape. I kinda think if anything was going to make me faster, it would be doing the mods to the old one. But the new ones are NEW AND SHINY. :yeehaw: And the CRF450 or YZF450 are just what I had in mind, unless I just couldn't leave the old 2 stroke, then it would be a YZ. I guess I really have to go ride one.
Rich

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
If you really dig the shiny look Mop and Glow works damn good for shining them covers up! A little elbow grease w/steel wool and save a hundred bucks or so. :)

Personally I would mod what you have. Then your bike is YOURS, different from almost every other out there. Sentimental value, or something like that.

The 01 YZ250s are great bikes as it is, you wouldn't be much faster (if at all) on an 03, and you would still be paying more!

I know one thing I will have my bike for a very long time. I worked too damn hard to get it, work on it etc. I am not going to give it away to someone who probly doesn't have any respect for what I went through.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by tri-mx'er :
"Here's my dilemma: I am wondering if I should buy a new one, or spend some money customizing my '01 to my riding style. "

Well if you buy a new one it still wont be customized to your riding style, and youll be in the hole again for 5 thousand grickles or so.
But jeesh, it's only an '01.
And you use it to playride -w- the kids?
Is it even "broken in" yet???

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I just have to wonder if the 01 motor might just have the same potential as the new motor....possibly suspension too. When a factory only makes minor changes to the porting and such to a certain bike, I always think to myself that you could simply do the same (or better) to an older bike and be some bucks ahead. I may be wrong, but what has yamaha done at the factory level that a good tuner couldn't do anyway?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I AM TELLING YOU TRI - DONT DO NUTTIN TILL YOU RIDE A CRF!! THERE IS MAGIC BETWEEN THOSE BARS!!!!!
WOODSY

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by OldassKDX
I just have to wonder if the 01 motor might just have the same potential as the new motor....possibly suspension too.

definately! i would love to ride an 03 YZ back to back with my 01 with the SST pipe and EG porting.

as for the suspension, i have heard a lot about the 02's working not as well as the 01's! but all that would be moot if a CRF is brought into the equation!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I vote that if you've got the resources, get that new YZ450F or CRF450, and put some time on it.. Taking a test ride is nice but these new 4-strokes do take a bit of time to adjust to, before you get the hang of them. After you've ridden it a few times decide which one to keep. :)

I'll lay down a $50 bet that you'll fall in love with the 4-stroke and live happily ever after.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am with u Cam! Sounds like an easy way to make 50..... Oh, by the way, I really enjoyed your photo album - I dont hink that Collie stands a chance against your KX though!!!
Woodsy

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Chances are that if you are a decent recreational rider then the bike can still be ridden faster than you can push it (You are not a pro MX racer). Porting and boring your current bike can actually reduce it's value. I have seen many f*#ked up bikes because they were ported wrong. I would keep your 01 for a few years and put a few hundred in the suspension to compensate for your weight and leave the engine alone.

Top Bottom