XXXMSTXXX

Jan 22, 2009
Cheers guys and gals,
I'm new to the site but hoped I could get some advice.

I currently own a '83 Cr125r that I bought a few years ago from a guy at work for cheap. It's been great the last couple of years but now I'm thinking of buying something newer. I love this bike but it is tired and I have had a bit of a hard time finding replacement parts for it. Would appreciate any opinions on what I should do? Spend the $ to maintain it as best I can or upgrade.

If I was to buy newer this is the low down...

1) your physical size: 6 ft., 188 lbs.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?: Strong, Know my limits but willing to push myself to become more competent.

3) what do you plan to ride?: Mostly trails and woods, not interested in racing.

4) Do you have any riding experience? Two years, cottage trails.

5) Do you think you will race ? No

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes, within reason. Maintenance and repairs if 2-stroke. Worried about complicated 4-stroke repairs.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

Yes, prefer a two stroke for cheaper maintenance, willing to buy a 4-stroke but worried about maint. costs. I don't need a full-on race bike but something with some guts. Just want to have fun.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Have all the brands within traveling distance of my house or the cottage.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

Depends, I am willing to spend the money to get a bike that will last but don't want to break the bank on new if I can get a reliable used one and fix it up a bit. Approx. $ 2500 - 3000.

10) Do you live in California?

No, Ontario Canada but ministry of environment is still pretty strict.

11) Your age? 32

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.

I have been thinking of a 2-stroke 125/250 maybe newer honda or yz but because it's hard to find places to ride in southern ontario and will be doing most of my riding up at cottage during summer, I won't be using the bike every week, should I go with something older. Like I said above I just want to have some fun and some laughs.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

shouldabeen

Dec 20, 2008
crf250x electric start, strong,fast,dependable stay with an 06 or newer. 2nd choice is a wr250 yamaha. so much better than what you been on its gonna be awasome and these bikes can be street legal in some states.

XXXMSTXXX

Jan 22, 2009
Thanks again

I've been thinking of a late model yz125 but just wondering if it's to small for my weight. It's hard for me to judge based on the age of my current ride. Also is it practical to setup a yz125 two-stroke for trails and woods or would It be too high in the powerband to make it capable off the track?

Jan 27, 2009
na, lately two strokes are dominating off road, their lightness and ability to be ridden slow without overheating are putting them up top. you cant go wrong with any newer 125, just dont get a cr under 05 because they were pretty slow under that. ktm makes an awesome trail machine too! you might also look into a 200sx, those are great! any newish 125 is going to amaze you with power, handling, and suspension, not only that, the aftermarket is great and parts are cheaper.

XXXMSTXXX

Jan 22, 2009
Yeah I've seen the KTM 200 X-c in mags but there aren't alot used in my neck of the woods. Are they worth the $? I like the idea of a light bike that I can control and throw around a bit and definately the after market is stacked with parts for them. But I guess you can say the same for any newer model.

Jan 27, 2009
the 200 is awesome! it makes 38hp, but it makes it everywhere! the 144sx makes a hair more, but its all in one spot, pretty much useless for a weekend trail rider. you may also look into the 300, but it may be out of your price range. if you can, avoid electric start unless you really want it, two strokes are easy to start and its really unecessary. if you cant find either of those, a 125 will still do great.

XXXMSTXXX

Jan 22, 2009
Awsome advice... being new to the site I appreciate the input. The 300's alittle out of my price range. The electric start on the 2st KTM's seemed like an interesting feature but it wouldn't make a big deal for me. Just out of curiousity, you don't like it because its not necessary or is it a weak spot of the bike?

kayla_1982

Jan 31, 2009
Street Legal Conversion

Converting your current bike is often the best way to go...

This is the kit I used for my bike is at electrosport

UPDATE: Sorry, I couldn't post a link. ES makes great conversion kits, though, if you need to check them out.

Top Bottom