APFornadel

Apr 1, 2002
Howdy. I have posted a couple of times, and i am still undecided on a new bike. I got a 2002 Honda xr200 last July, and it was all good. Then I grew about 7 inches, and the xr200 is like riding a BMX bike. Anyways, I do a lot of trail riding(forests, logging roads) and I have also ridden KDX 200's and KDX 220's (both of which were somewhat upgraded).

Looking at the fact that I do mostly trail riding, it would seem that a MX bike would be out of the question. Correct me if I am wrong. I have been looking at some of the big bore thumpers as an option, i.e. the KLX 300.

Please give me some input, I would like to see what everyone thinks. My "stats" are below.

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 177
Skill: Novice to Intermediate

Thanks again!

APFornadel

Apr 1, 2002
Well, I was riding them in the desert (South eastern Utah). Anyways, I like them. They really had a lot of power. The only problem is that I will be doing mostly woods riding, seeing that I live on the east coast. So, I didnt get much of a feel for what the KDXs would handle like in a Woods situation. One thing I did like is the fact that the KDXs would run over nearly anything I threw in front of them.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I owned a highly modified KLX340 (orig a 250) The bike was great. It handled wonderfully in the woods. I had only one complaint. to make it fast I had to modify it alot, which made is kid of unreliable, and sometimes hard to start. I now ride a wr250f and love it. It may be a little tall for you as the KLX is much shorter, but the wr250f is light years ahead of the KLX. in suspension and engine etc. FYI for the KLX, stroker is the only company I know of making aftermarket parts for it. Good luck.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi AP:
"I have been looking at some of the big bore thumpers as an option, i.e. the KLX 300".
I am not picking on you but I just couldnt let that quote go by.. The KLX300 is not a big bore and will not perform as such.
Also contrary to popular belief, LOTS of folks ride MX bikes in our tight Michigan woods and do it VERY successfully! I have found it easier and cheaper to "detune" an MX bike for trail use then to "upgrade" a factory trailbike to a "trail usable" machine. IMHO the CRF450 is the ULTIMATE woods weapon (just don t drop it - parts are expensive and they like to bend) - I have recently came across one of the new KTM125's (SX model) that is not far behind though! Probalby the BEST all around bike, again in my opinion, is the YZ250 2 stroker! I personally have been riding a KX500 (best kept woods secret in history) - TORQUE is its middle name.
Just some thoughts....
Woodsy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom