new board member, new 2-stroke owner. aka: HALP!

esworp

May 15, 2008
hey folks. I'm the proud new owner of a 78 Dt250.

I used to own a 75MGB roadster, so you /know/ I know how to work a wrench to some degree.. since those things seriously spurn owners who don't worship them weekly with tools and oils.

Anyway, I picked up a 1978 Yamaha DT250 on a lark, having paid very little for it.

the prior owner indicated he had run it recently, and the next day he couldn't start it. Since I've had it (four days), I've noticed:

Seems to be getting fuel, as the plug will be a little wet with fuel when i try and turn it over.

the original plug didn't seem fouled, and it has a fresh plug in it and still won't turn over.

has spark via a visual with the plug out and wired to a ground on the bike while turning it over.
carb interior looks clean and free from any wear or other weirdness. float valve seems to close properly and carb gets fuel, a virgin plug smelled of fuel after being put in and the engine turned.. there may have been a film of fuel on it, it was dark by then.

the battery is good, but the closer i look at the wiring, the less warm and fuzzy I feel about it being up to par. The bike, like my MG, seems to bear evidence of three or four other guys re-doing the wiring because they thought Yamaha's way of doing it was not good enough. That said, if i see spark on the plug, i would suppose that the electrical bogusness isn't affecting the ignition side of the fence.

reed valves look new, as does the inside of the tank. Also, the breaker contacts look pretty new from what i can see through the holes in the flywheel.

I would /think/ that my next concern is with the timing, but i cannot get the flywheel off to get at the points. I have a puller on order from a local yamaha shop.

Where else should I think to look for a starting problem? If i can get it to turn over, I intend on some lightwieght riding for about 5 miles before replacing the inner seals... I understand that one of these sitting for a while can lead to tranny oil blowing into the crankcase, or even a crank going places it shouldn't.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that the kick starter is inhibiting the engine from turning freely at the end of the kick-stroke.. I've never had a bike of this size, and don't know if this is normal or whatnot. Maybe I'm just not putting enough stink on it when i kick.. the only other bike I've had with a kick start was a 73 CT90, and you could kick that over by looking at it funny from across the room.

A Clymer manual is onroute, just in case you wanted to advise me of such.. aside from that, I'm all ears for advice, warning, or other lamentations.

Derek.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You seem to have covered most of the bases.

that clymer manual will walk you through a lot of troubleshooting.

good luck

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
you should do a compression test

dray

Jul 12, 2007
Hey there. Before you do anything else, take out the spark plug, lay the bike down and lift up the back tire so the cylinder is pointing down a bit. Kick it over and watch for gas beign forced out of the spark pug hole. On these old bikes, even ones that look mint, they arent. I dont know how many times Ive heard the same thing, bike ran yesterday and doesnt today, and mostly they left the gas on and it filled up the bottom of the crank. I drain all my bikes of gas now if they are going to sit for more than a day. 20 year old bikes = petcocks leak, floats are off and needle and seat are usually shot. That being said, I bet if you did this, you could go for a ride. Good luck. Ive done lots of dts and they are ugly, but they mostly always go.

esworp

May 15, 2008
dray said:
On these old bikes, even ones that look mint, they arent. I dont know how many times Ive heard the same thing, bike ran yesterday and doesnt today, and mostly they left the gas on and it filled up the bottom of the crank.

Wild. I would've never have though of that. Would a fuel-smelling exhaust be an indicator of this?

There's no drain plug for that side? I see one that I suppose is for the tranny and never looked on the other side. I am going to have to do this in the wee hours.. i live in a foo-foo apartment community that would frown on oily discharges in public view. Effing pansies! I have to keep my rebuild work on the porch in a clandestine setup. I suppose it adds to the thrill.. reminds me of a girlfriend that liked getting frisky outdoors. :p

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
esworp said:
Wild. I would've never have though of that. Would a fuel-smelling exhaust be an indicator of this?

There's no drain plug for that side? I see one that I suppose is for the tranny and never looked on the other side. I am going to have to do this in the wee hours.. i live in a foo-foo apartment community that would frown on oily discharges in public view. Effing pansies! I have to keep my rebuild work on the porch in a clandestine setup. I suppose it adds to the thrill.. reminds me of a girlfriend that liked getting frisky outdoors. :p

I live in a not so foo-foo neighborhood of rednecks and racers, and I'd be pissed if you discharged the oil or gas in a public way, in anything other than an appropriate container.

Be smart, get something to drain it into.

I use a big nasty concrete mixing pan I got at Home Depot for 10 bucks. It's heavy black plastic, and it's big enough to ensure that anything that comes out of whatever I happen to be draining doesn't spill on the ground.

esworp

May 15, 2008
this place doesn't even allow tenants to work on thier vehicles. i'm not keen on pollution; used to dive for NOAA :]

once upon a time i was rebuilding the MGB's kingpins and had to lean the wheels up in the wells during the day. looked enough to fool clueless property managerss, but most guys were all (0_o)

Top Bottom