firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Ok so it wasn't deep sand in big drifts and dunes like Florence or anything but it was my first ever experience in sand. I LOVED IT!!! I had SO much fun. My bike did awesome even with a half-worn S-12 on the back. I only really hit the ground 2 times and neither one hurt. I also ran my bike harder than I ever have before and it felt great to rail through the dunes and drifts in 3rd gear pinned! (4th for a while but then I scared myself when I rode through a patch of thin sand over rocks and the rear tire REALLY hooked up) There was a combination of small dunes separated by rocks and weeds, with really cool trails in between. I went with 2 friends who both had big bores and while I was slow, I wasn't THAT slow.

I can't wait to go back. I also can't wait to paddle up and do some *real* dune riding at Florence or Moses. Next time anyone goes to Moses or Juniper, let me know!

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
At our track we have really big, deep sandy berms. The guys on the big thumpers just tractor on through the outside...my cr80 dosent like it too much. But it looks fun

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Hey FC22 where did you go? I had my first ride in the sand last summer down at Sand Lakes OR. I thought it was a blast and I`m looking forward to going down to Coos Bay this fourth of July.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Firecracker22, I didn't see this thread when I posted in the other one, so please forget about what I asked you there.

It is great to hear that you had a great time on the sand.
I rode my XR200R in southern California last month. The terrain of flat areas was mostly sandy. I was so scared at the beginning, and then I got used to it. But at the same time I was wishing if I had a two stroke....
Well, now I got my KDX220, so maybe I will come up to your way sometime!
Have fun!

Mini

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I rode in the sand for the first time yesterday at my first desert race. Ive only riddin sand in smal sections before, and this course was half deep rutted sand wash. the sand was at least a foot deep, and I had my worn out M-12 on the back, the hardest part was getting traction out of corners and up hills. It was fun being able to fly down the straights in 5th gear, untill the whoops got me tired out. Ive got a new soft terrain tire ordered though;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
We went to Beverly dunes, down near Vantage right on the east (or south, whatever--the Spokane side) of the bridge.

Firelily, you will love the 2-stroke in the sand. Even in soft dirt the front tire of my old XR 200 was soooo heavy I would have hated it in sand.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
firecracker22, just be carefull. When you ride sand (especially with a worn tyre) go richer on your jetting. You will find that the motor works a lot harder in sand and heats up more.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I wondered about that. I felt my radiators, though, and they didn't feel too hot or anything. In fact I've never heated that bike up even though people tell me the KTMs tend to overheat. Any other KTM gals ever overheated their bike?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by firecracker22
We went to Beverly dunes, down near Vantage...
That place :aj:
The best part is stopping in E-burg on the way home for a SuperMother at The Tav. Next time you go there please look for my collarbone. I left it out there in between a couple of dunes back in '89. :eek: My shoulder hasn't been the same since. :scream:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Any other KTM gals ever overheated their bike?

Yup, been there, done that. Was at a harescramble just last year, and the skies opened up at the start line. Rain, thunder, lightning, :eek: the works. Didn't last too long, but the track was a quagmire. There was one section that was slightly uphill, but with all the water and mud it turned into a one-track rut. Flogged my poor little bike all the way up, and there was some steam coming out the radiators by the time I made it to the top. Dave had the same problem on his 250.
Mud and sand both put an extra load on the engine. Add an uphill to the equation, and you have the makings for an overheated bike.

Dirtygirly

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Wish I didn't have midterms this week. Would have been fun to go riding again. And this time I would have been able to get my bike there! I keep finding myself in the garage...motorcycle, truck, motorcycle...need, must, want to go riding!

Glad you had fun. :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey, just think, it won't be long before we can ride all the time. How's 7-mile looking? Snow and ice mostly gone yet?

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Sandy?

I've ridden some sandy spots, but Baja gave me every opportunity to experience sand on every terrain imaginable I found the key to having a good time in sand is to go as fast as possible.
It can feel like you're going too fast but actually you'll have more gyroscopic control. Faster=steadier.
I could feel the bike bog down immediately when I let off the gas, but the little trooper never over heated and I ran that ktm WFO most of the time.
Those S12's work great. Let your bike do the work. Just take a deep breath and don't try to control the bike, you'll only get tired and probably crash.
F22 sounds like you're having a blast back in the saddle.
I look forward to meeting you...FE

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Were I normaly ride there is a deep sandy creek that is wider then a two lane road in places. It zig-zags with wide sweeper corners. You can tap it out on the straits. There is a trail that straitens it out were you can jump in and out of the sand wash catching some nice air. Its just around 3 miles. I used to hate it when I first started riding there because of the weight of my bike. Now I love to run it. It just took a while get the hang of it. Very cool. I would love to try some of the paddle fun in the dunes.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Firecracker, what would you call Reno? :think

Did you get a chance to ride the sand washes down there last year? Those were a blast, reminded me of snowmobiling and weaving back & forth up the banks - swoosh, swoosh, swoosh.

Not sure what 7 mile looks like yet. I know Beacon Hill was a muddy mess a week ago (mountain bikes). We haven't had anymore precip but it's been really cold. It is warming up to the 40's now so another week or two and 7 Mile may be doable.

We are thinking of going to Moses Lake or even Mattawa in the next few weeks depending on the weather. Juniper is still closed due to access problems. I'll let you know if we set up a trip though.

vern#19

Apr 23, 2000
Beverly Mounds

I was there 02/22 had a great time I love 4th gear pinned power slides just don't let off P.S. the monster 250F ran my buddies CR 250 in to the ground until he bluw it up:(
HOW WAS RENO?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Vern, I didn't go to Reno this year. Car trouble stranded me in Spokane for the weekend.

Bbbom, this was deeper, softer sand than anything I remember finding in Reno last year. I also didn't go on the same rides with you guys the whole weekend either.

FE--I am having a blast riding again. Not being able to for so long really made me appreciate it more. We will have to plan a trip one of these days.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
Any other KTM gals ever overheated their bike?

yup, me too....
I think I rode Sand Lake the same day you rode in sand...and I ran a bit hot.
I didn't have time to put my paddle on, so I was riding on a worn out S12 also!
My bike was fine except for coming up the two big bowls (the ONLY bowls). It got a bit hot.
I decided to call it a day since it was my first day back since my accident.
And I was riding 2 weeks earlier than my surgeon said I could ;)

Top Bottom