firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Wow.
That's all I can say about my all-too-short weekend.
Thursday night I drove down to a campground near North Bend, OR right after work--about an 8-hour drive--to meet Drew and his friends, who had already been there for almost a week. Long, boring drive. Oh well.
We woke up to mist but warm weather, and the mist started to burn off. We went for breakfast and came back to get ready to ride, then hit some dunes right away.
Now I have ridden in dunes before; not, however, like these. Miles of soft, almost white, beautiful dunes of all shapes and sizes. I floundered a little taking off but the KTM got up on plane ok. Pretty soon we were ripping it up all over the place. I surprised myself a little bit once; even though I know you're not supposed to jump a dune without looking down over the top to see what's there, I decided to loft it a little over the edge of this one that had a nice little kicker to it. Well, from 10 ft in the air I noticed it had quite a downhill slope on the other side! I let out a whoop just so anyone who happened to see it would think it was deliberate, and coasted down the other side. I probably should have turned around and hit it again but my first jump is always the best one.
We played around the dunes for a while, then took the 3.5 mile road out to the beach. I was well acquainted with this road after the second day. It is solid whoops. Some small, some large, but never a place to slow down and sit down. The first day was great! Sandy whoops are MUCH more fun than whoops in the woods or on the MX track. I railed through there in 3rd or 4th gear. By the second day, though, my legs would start to burn SO bad that I had to slow down to a crawl to rest my legs, then get moving again. It sucks to ride that kind of stuff slow.
So anyway, my first day at the beach was pretty good. We screamed up and down the beach for a while; I hit almost 50 mph at some point. There were driftwood logs with the sand piled up on the windward side that made excellent jumps. You could ride down along the waterline, or up against the grass, or through all the debris above the high water line. So we played around through there, and then hit what might have been one of the most fun parts of the day; sandy, whooped out roads/wide trails that curved back and forth through the beach grass between the big dunes and the beach. You could just stay in 4th gear, stand up, and haul ass through there. It was great.
Second day was more of the same, though we remembered to take the camera with us. Took some dune-jumping pics, and a few down at the beach.
Overall:
-I wish I could have stayed longer
-Dunes riding is more fun than I thought
-I did fine for 2 days without a paddle tire
-Sand sucks when it gets EVERYWHERE after a crash!!!!
-8-foot tall flags make your bike look retarded but oh well, everybody else has them too
-Bikes are still faster than quads even in the dunes
-The ocean is amazingly beautiful even if it smells funny. (I have only been to the coast once before, when I was about 7)
-I can't wait to go back
Pictures coming soon!

Sourstraw

Apr 17, 2003
That sounds insanely awesome!!! Too bad the only terrain in Pennsylvania is rocks... it sounds like a dream to ride in an area like that!!!

Cool ride report!!!

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
I love riding the dunes. We go to St. Anthony 1 - 2 times a year and always have such a good time! Railing around those huge bowls is such a rush! Here's some pics from our last trip to St. Anthony; http://www.geocities.com/sarahdl99/dirtbikes_sand.html

Sharla, you need to join us there sometime - I guarantee a good time! I've never needed a paddle tire although they might be a little nicer in the really dry sand. And flags do look goofy on bikes! We all bought ourselves flags for our dirtbikes last time we were there, everyone of us broke them off! What a waste of money!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
HAHA Sand does get everywhere in a wreck, i've had my nostrils sandblasted a few times :yikes:
Quads are always in the way, til you pass em :yeehaw:

I wanna go back too PISMO!!
Great report, post some pics :)
Rick

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
Sounds like an awesome ride! I wanted to respond over on TT but the site is down :( It must be nice to be able to have a variety of terrain to ride on :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Even though there's every kind of riding to be found in the Northwest, you gotta do some drivin' to enjoy the terrain. 2 days of riding, even though it was awesome, did not entirely justify 18 total hours of driving. Still, I'm glad I got to go.

Sarah, I'd love to ride there with you. Do you ride all winter too or does it snow there?

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
It snows there so the season is about over. I know some of our buddies are going this weekend but we've got an obligation Saturday night. Not sure if we'll get to go this year but next spring...

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
firecracker22 said:
did not entirely justify 18 total hours of driving.

You ought to try Sand Lake just out of Tillimook. It's not that big but only about 4.5 hours from Tacoma so about 6 hours or so from Ellensburg.

Steve

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
Sand lakes is a good place for the family with little ones and a neat place for sight seeing. You can ride your bike on the beach - that is cool but other than that, its pretty flat and doesnt cover much area. Of course I'm used to 400 ft tall razor backs that stretch for 15 miles or so. St. Anthony will justify what ever it is to Boise from Ellensberg + 4.5 to the dunes - I promise.

Nice pic of you jumping BTW!

Top Bottom