New Fork Springs - Question

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
Last week I replaced my fork springs with some racetech (.40kg) ones. After I put the forks back in and got everything put back together, I noticed the stock springs had what looked like a washer, with tabs to hold it in, on one end of the spring. They are not the spacer guides and I did not see anything in the exploded views in the service manual. I have also checked the threads and did not seen anything on them. Do I need to pull my new springs and insert these washers? If so, do they go to the bottom or the top?

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I would pull the new springs and put them on, they go on the bottom of the springs. I would guess they protect the top of the cylinder from the sharp edge of the spring.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
My stock springs had the washer/spacers on both ends. Suspect they may be to keep the springs straight and in line rather than allowing some deflection. Cheers John

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, you do (need to install those clipped/crimped washers).

You're lucky...kinda. Sometimes they fall off on spring removal, sit at the bottom of the fork until they get munched by the new spring.

No, the new spring will not 'find' the washer if the spring is placed separately in the tube with the washer sitting at the bottom.

OK OK...the world will not end if you don't put the washer in there. But, I wouldn't want to be buying new valves/fork if they get buggered after being pounded on a few gazillion (that's a scientifically exact/correct number) times by spring steel.

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks guys... I went ahead and pulled my new springs back out last night and put the crimped washers back in. We're heading to Tres Ritos, NM this week to ride mountain trails, so they'll be getting their work out. After reading all the threads on what an improvement they make, I'm interested to see how the bike will handle. Since I'm a suspension rookie (not even realizing there was anything wrong with it for my 205 lbs), I'll be sure to report how it works for me.

Hairscrambled

Jun 25, 2004
How long are your new springs compared to the stock springs? If they are the same length then use the stock spacers. I put .40 springs in and was lucky that they were within 1mm the length of the old springs. Make sure you have 8 to 10mm of preload and that the springs and spacers are seated well.

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
Hey Nbro

Let me kow if you notice a difference with the springs. Like you, I'm a suspension rookie and not that aggressive of a rider. I'll be curious to read your thoughts on the new springs as I was/am considering doing the same thing.

Mark

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
Hairscrambled - Thanks for the advice. I was fortunate enough that my springs were the same length also, so I just used the stock spacer.

MarkWo - I'll make sure I let you know how they work for me. This Forum and all the great advice from seasoned riders has been extremely helpful to me. Sometimes it's hard to really understand what they're talking about until we get in there and start doing it. But so far, most of the advice I've gotten has been spot-on. I hope to provide advice from somewhat of a newbie's perspective. After I get my suspension tuned, I plan to tackle jetting. I've put on Power Reeds, changed my main to a 135 and my pilot to a 40... and it seems to run fine (as far as I know), but I'm hoping to really get it fined tune, then post my results.

Neal

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Hey guys, you aren't the only newbies out here...

Thanks for this post. I have new FRP fork springs (0.40kg/mm) lying in the garage, waiting for my first attempt at an install procedure. This info about the washers is very useful and I'll look for them when I get into it. :cool:

BTW, when I asked Jeff Fredette about a "special tool" to hold down the fork spring so you can "get at the nut", he said to just tilt that metal spacer sideways and jam it under the nut so you can put a wrench on it.

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
wanaride - It's really not that bad at all. You'll just grab the spacer and push down with one hand (compressing the spring) and put a 7/16 wrench under the nut with the other. This will keep the nut exposed. Place a 17mm wrench on the nut and an adjustable wrench on the fork cap and loosten it. It will all make sense when you get into it. Good luck.

Neal

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…