hustonk

Mar 8, 2004
I posted yesterday, but it got lost in the mail! I just bought a 96 YZ250. First bike was an MX100, then an IT175, I joined the Navy in 89 "Top Gun and all!", sold my 66 Stang and bought a Honda Interceptor. Couldn't travel on it, so I got a mini van with no seats in back and a 82 Maico 490 to stick in it. Rode the crap out of the Maico in Lake Morino and whatever that place was called down near the border past the base. Transfered back east and broke my Maico shock on a moto-cross track. Sold it for $100 ran perfect except for the shock (didn't have internet in 1992). Got married and had three kids. Tried to fit a 95 GSXR750 into my budget until a $501 speeding ticket. Finally, I'm the Navy recruiter for Enterprise Al. and I got me another bike! :yeehaw:

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Hey Hustonk, former Navy myself 1977-84, bubble head stationed out of Groton most of that. Your Maico was worth about 30 times what you let it go for,bummer, I am continually kicking myself in the backside for not holding on to my now "Vintage" bikes, live and learn I guess! :whiner:

Welcome aboard! you from Upstate New York?

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Enterprise Alabama, Cool! There's lots of guys on here from AL, MS, FL, and GA. You shouldn't have trouble finding people to ride with. MX or trails? Welcome to the group.

hustonk

Mar 8, 2004
Thanks, my first name is Brooks. (Senior Chief to you HobRoff! lol) Pleas take a look at the post I made in CR/YZ/etc. thread. I bought my bike from a recruiter in Panama City (also a submariner) who's into four wheelers. He bought it from a buddy who was shipped overseas. It had water in the tranny from the water pump seal. I had the frame blasted and powder coated here locally and put it back together. Runs great except for the tranny problem. I want to get it back together and race beginner enduro or hair-scrambles. I'm too old to do the double jumps! BUT CRAZY ENOUGH TO FLY OVER WHAT i CAN'T SEE! Origionally from Conyers Ga.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site! :)

Timr will take great care of you! :thumb:

Check out the Southern Spodes for more info on goings on in your area.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Welcome Navy dude! $501 speeding ticket. SOunds sickeningly familiar. I try to block out those old memories. LOL

Saturday there is a group ride and track day at Durhamtown Plantation about an hour and 20 minutes East of your old Conyers stompin grounds. Should be a good time, if ya can break free. It would be worth your drive. :)

hustonk

Mar 8, 2004
I saw something about Durhamtown earlier. The place must have opened fairly recently? Recruiting out that way was my last shore duty, I don't remember it. Is that crazy camp still out there in Eatonton? The Maico I had was sold to Rockdale cycle. I wish I could make it this Saturday but my bikes apart. I need a clutch. I split the case to see if I had any gear problems but everything looks good inside. Are there a lot of people there on the weekends?

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Senor Chef, was wondering about your handle, had some friends from New England that lived on the Houstonic River.

Had a chance to operate out of Kings Bay but I had my fill of the south after living in Orlando for several months, opted for Bangor and the rest is history, that was twenty years ago and I live about an hour south of the base, was TM1 when I packed the seabag and said Addios. Would have had to have gone warrant by now to keep things interesting. Never did shore duty, six years straight sea time - something like 500 days submerged, many days in the North Atlantic playing with the Russians.

Saw a post on here awhile back from a guy calling himself "Roostafish", gotta be Navy after all the sea stories I've heard from the USS Usetafish :clue:

I'm not one for the trails and ride what they call rough scrambles or Grand Prix out here, really its what I grew up on -70's/80's type motocross. I do ok on a modern intermediate track, lots of Over the hill and Oldtimer riders here.

Anyway, Take Care,

Rob Hoff

hustonk

Mar 8, 2004
No handle, just call me Brooks, 6 yrs sea duty? aargh!

HobRoff said:
Senor Chef, was wondering about your handle, had some friends from New England that lived on the Houstonic River.

Had a chance to operate out of Kings Bay but I had my fill of the south after living in Orlando for several months, opted for Bangor and the rest is history, that was twenty years ago and I live about an hour south of the base, was TM1 when I packed the seabag and said Addios. Would have had to have gone warrant by now to keep things interesting. Never did shore duty, six years straight sea time - something like 500 days submerged, many days in the North Atlantic playing with the Russians.

Saw a post on here awhile back from a guy calling himself "Roostafish", gotta be Navy after all the sea stories I've heard from the USS Usetafish :clue:

I'm not one for the trails and ride what they call rough scrambles or Grand Prix out here, really its what I grew up on -70's/80's type motocross. I do ok on a modern intermediate track, lots of Over the hill and Oldtimer riders here.

Anyway, Take Care,

Rob Hoff

hustonk

Mar 8, 2004
Yeah that's the ones. We were out there in the GOV's we recruit in we Gov't plates while he was going through trial. They thought we were FBI or something and chased us down 278 for a few miles at 90+ mph! You meet so many interesting folks recruiting!

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Well, another sailor. Welcome aboard. Was an STG3 now it's KDX220R. Not riding the waves anymore but once a sailor always a sailor. Crossed the Equator 12/18/1977 a day I will never forget. I was out of the Dirtbike riding for 25 years and I'm very glad I came back. You will meet a whole bunch of nice people through this site. :thumb:

Desertpro

Mar 10, 2004
New to the fourm. In the Navy, on the Mccain out of yokosuka, japan. Doing enduros in this part of the world. Getting ready to call Mayport FL home soon. Any one else from that area.

DP
GSM2 SW

Top Bottom