New here.. HI :) .. need some bike input

BlackieZ

Apr 22, 2008
(I read the article, good read)
I just started riding last year on the street so I'm still pretty new to bikes in general. Never been offroading untill last weekend I went ridin with some friends. I was supposed to ride a Honda 250 but the bike was too big for me and I coudln't touch the ground while on it. I'm only 5' and less then 100lbs. So instead, I got to follow the big boys on a little 50 :) I had a great time, although some moments were a little frustrating, but at least I know this is something I would have fun doing again.

I have been offered to buy a friend's 01 XR80, which I like because of it's small size, and it's a good deal. I really want something cheap as I already have 2 other bikes, a supermoto and a street bike I'm trying to sell. However I'm getting mixed advice from others that the bike would be either too small for me (engine wise) or too abrupt. I'm VERY tempted to pick it up just because it's a good deal and I figured, worst case scenario I'll sell it and get something else. ...ok fine and I'm not the most patient shopper :P

Just wanted to get some quick input from others about this bike.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd suggest either a KX85 or KX100..

Cheap, easy to maintain and loads of fun!

Plus, they don't hit as hard as some of the other 2 strokes..

Apr 30, 2007
Even at your size (I'm not a whole lot bigger), the XR80 will run out of power.

Don't buy it.

Wait around and pick up a CRF 150 F, or a CR 80 or 85...

The CR 80 will be super powerful and scareyfast at first. But they are very cheap and easy to find...

DirtMaiden

Apr 27, 2008
It would depend on the kind of terrain you are riding (MX or off-road). Short girls I know are very happy on their Honda CRF 150's, otherwise u could drop a Honda CRF 230 very low as well (much heavier than the 150). Ride as many bikes as possible before u decide, though.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Welcome to DRN!

I think even with your small stature, you will get bored with the 80 in no time flat. I would start looking at the little bit bigger bikes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…