emullen

Aug 6, 2003
I just bought a '99 kdx 200. My past rides were an '86 XR200, then on to a '98 KTM 250MXC, then a '99 KX250 with all the mods. I rode and raced motocross for 3 years until a freak accident which resulted in internal bleeding. I'm just starting to ride again and already miss my KX. This KDX is a nice ride, I just want a powerband like my KX had!! I really want to put a pro-circuit pipe on it, that's what I had on KX, but alot of you say FMF. My question is can anyone tell me the powerband difference. I have a lot of experience jetting and can handle that fine, I will also open up the airbox. Any help greatly appreciated.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Suggestion: Trade it right now for a KX. A Pro-Circuit pipe probably works better than the FMF [and will most definately fit better] for mid to high RPMs. You can make the KDX engine rip BUT, The rest of the bike is not up to handling any speeds above 3rd gear. Where your KX was pretty stable in 4th & 5th --the KDX is a nightmare. It will cost you a fortune in suspension work or outright swapping forks & shock to get it even close to the KX. If you want it for slow, tight trail work it's one of the best bikes available.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I rode KX 250s for years and I like the KDX. Regardless of what you do, it will be a little weaker than the KX, but much easier to ride in the woods and on trails. Regarding making it run like the KX, you definately want an FMF Gnarly Torque/Woods pipe (-35). The pro circuit will be good for mid to top end, but it will not come out of a corner like the KX.

If you are wanting the low end rip like the KX, the -35 is going to get you closer than anything else. You may also want to eventually put the V Force Delta reed cage and reeds on too. If you live in an area where you can keep the speed up, then the pro circuit will be fine. On the other hand, now is the decision time for tweaking the KDX or getting a KX.

To me, the big difference is 6 gears (and more top end potential), more range on a tank of gas, and a much smoother motor in tight technical woods, with the trade off being less torque down low and softer suspension. You will "dump" any MX bike in slow hilly technical areas at some point, maybe a lot(?). The KDX will lug through just like a 4 stroke, which makes it more fun.

Robcolo is right when he says the suspension is not up to par with the KX. I don't recommend any doubles or triples on the KDX, but with a little work I think they are great in the woods and on trails. Mine does not have any problems staying stable in 3rd and 4th gear (within reason).

Good luck-
JCW

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Am I the only one who owns a KDX that is stable at high speed? I can rip through 6 gears WFO with no stability problems.

emullen, If you are used to a KX and are happy with that powerband and handling then I would suggest you stick with that.

I have a ProCircuit pipe and a Fredette torque ring on mine and it greatly improved top end. Midrange suffered somewhat, but I'm not done tweaking the jetting yet. I've heard that the V-ForceII helps a lot too.

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
I have both bikes, a 99 kx 250 and a 2000 kdx 200. The kx has a 9 oz flywheel weight, dyno port pipe, skid plate and is properly jetted. Can you say 4th gear wheelies? It has power everywhere and can slam into almost anything without a wimper. The problem for me was that single track beat the heck out of me. You had to lug the engine (thanks steahly) and the suspension still deflected off of eveything even with the clickers backed off. The long wheelbase also made it hard to turn in the tight stuff, even with the chain shortened and the forks raised in the the clamps. I came to a crossroads that was either sink $ into the kx suspension and engine for a better woods machine or buy a kdx. As I watched my riding buddies on kdx's fly through the gnarly stuff I said I've got to have one too.
To me the kdx is like riding a mountain bike through single track. The suspension just sucks up all the nasty stuff and because of the short wheelbase it can be flicked through the woods. The stock power could be a little more entertaining though. I removed the airbix lid and re-jetted after the first ride. I have since purchased a ram valve and fmf gnarly woods pipe, they have not arrived yet. I'll let you know how the performance increases. As much as I would like to keep the kx, I am 40 and I think my days of doing big doubles are over. Here is a link to the kx if you are curious and want to make me an offer. http://members.aol.com/cdelavalle/kx250.jpg

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by Jackpiner57
Am I the only one who owns a KDX that is stable at high speed? I can rip through 6 gears WFO with no stability problems.
Mine is also stable WFO in 6th ---IF it's going in a straight line. Problem out here in the desert is that they stick turns in there every once in a while. The KDX is not at all predictable cornering hard in 5th or 6th. My KX, however handles these little surprises like a dirt tracker. Farcry2 is right on --the KX is a hard hitting, go fast, high flying thorobred. When you try to slow it down in the tight gnarly stuff, it hates it --and lets you know that it hates it. The KDx is a complete opposite - it loves the tight stuff and can even make an average rider look great! Just depends on the type riding one's going to do. I'm glad I kept my KX for those days I feel like racing, but sure glad I discovered the KDX for the days when the going gets rough.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If it's 'kx' style powerband you want, a -35 isn't the pipe for you. Well, I haven't ridden one..but my understanding is that the kx (as with most track bikes) has a considerable hit and 'overrev' (forgive the misnomer).

With the right needle (probably a CEL with the oem #5 slide), a -30 (or gnarly burly desert if you want to make up some names) pipe and a good reedblock, the 200 hits hard!.

For even more smiles, try a 4-vent airstryker carb.

What on earth you'd do with more 'hit' than that.......I have no idea.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
You can make the KDX engine rip BUT, The rest of the bike is not up to handling any speeds above 3rd gear. Where your KX was pretty stable in 4th & 5th --the KDX is a nightmare.

Maybe some KDX's are a nightmare? ?

My old and tired '92 is not (well except for that nightmarish baby-blue seat and fork boots, oooo that thing is scary!:eek: ), I just rode 109 miles on Saturday (with my buddy 'carvr). A portion of that ride was WOT, 60-70mph on gravel roads. Sometimes I wondered if the motor was gonna blow but I sure did not notice any high speed stability problems. :aj:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
You gotta love the blue fork boots and seat with the pink lettering! :scream:   My '90 may be old, but is is stable on the fast stuff and great in the tight stuff.  Maybe I'm getting old too, but I'm very pleased with the powerband as well.  I guess it is just a matter of personal preference and riding area / style and ability.  I had my suspension rebuilt to suit me and it is the best money I've spent, other than buying the KDX.

Either way, it's good to here that you're getting back on the bike, whichever way you decide to go.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
My bud has a 92 kx that he's pretty much rebuilt from the ground up. All it has as far as add ons are the noline (sp) pipe and possibly reeds. It looks better than my '01 !!!!

Compared to my RM, this bike is about as user friendly as it gets. Almost like riding nothing at all. I can sit on it through almost any terrain, it has a perfect suspension. Although my bike is a bit faster in a straight line, I would trade it for the KX any day, to me the 92 KX is THE perfect bike for woods or track. Just feels right.

Chief

slyder

Jul 29, 2003
the big question is what kind of riding you want to do(or going to do). bike choice is all personal preference. my kdx is great in the woods and can do ok on the track. i have the fmf gnarly pipe and boyssen reeds in my 220r. with a few holes in the airbox lid it has real good bottom end(not kx) but no topend. but it is all about you man. what do you want?

Top Bottom