New info on the 05's CRF or YZF

ZR2

Jun 24, 2003
Im 16 years old and im 5'11, 170 pounds and I currently have a 2002 CR125. I know the engine for that year sucks and I ride the thing pretty damn hard, I race in intermediate and novice classes and do pretty good. I have had the bike goin on for 2 and half years now and I keep puttin top ends on it like no other. I wanna stay in the 125 class and wanted to know which bike you would recommend. I ride every kind of terrain and know how to do most maintence.

I was just wondering since all the new information was out on the 05's which bike between the crf250 and the yzf250 would you choose. Should I wait another year and see if the yzf250 comes with an aluminum frame or just go ahead and get it. Or should I get the crf? thanks

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Sorry, I have no opinion on the new bikes you mentioned, but a cheap way to get more competitive would be to have motor work done by someone like eric gorr. Some good port work and a race gas setup will do wonders!

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
If you've already blown through several top ends, then I'd guess the rest of the bike is getting pretty worn too. I'd get a new bike before the 02 starts to nickle and dime you to death. Before long, your bike will probably need a bottom end, clutch and a new barrel. Who knows what clutch basket and tranny look like after two years of racing?

As for the aluminum frame, not having aluminum hasn't hurt anybody at team Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki up until now. Besides being a little lighter, I don't think aluminum is a noticable performance advantage. Does it seem like Bubba, Chad or Davi Millsaps need aluminum frames to be competitive? How bout Honda 125's? They've had aluminum frames for years, but it hasn't helped them in shoot outs.

I don't think you can go wrong with Honda or Yamaha. Go for the one you can get the best deal on.

pbook

Nov 26, 2003
i have just traded ny 03 cr 125 for a 04 crf 250,if you like the riding position of the honda get one ,you wont believe how easy this bike is to ride fast and it is fast,how they can let these bikes race in the same class is a mystery to me.had a 426 a couple of years ago and couldnt get on with it ,felt too cramped,i am 6ft2 and the honda just feels a better bike for taller riders.corners like it is on rails,get one.

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
imo..maybe the CRF is prone to get more top end job on it that the YZF does...since the motor on the CRF 250 got only 1 compression ring....never own a crf neither a yzf though

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ZR2 said:
I have had the bike goin on for 2 and half years now and I keep puttin top ends on it like no other.

kid, if you think the CRF will need less maintainance, then think again! the only difference, is about $200-300 every new top end job- thats if the 4 stroke holds together- if you are racing intermediate level they wont last long.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
have a look at the 05 RM, KTM and YZ 125s, hopefully the KX will have updated rear suspension and it will also be a good bike.

ZR2

Jun 24, 2003
I don't care about maintance, I love working on bikes. I know how to do everything but spilt the case, I have no tools to spilt it with.

ZR2

Jun 24, 2003
All I really want to know which bike do you think is best for 05, the honda or yamaha, those are my only two choices. I aint know Kawasaki Boy, lol.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom