Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by Fe_princess
You don't have to be an expert about anything to work at cycle gear.

Now that HAS to be one of the funniest/sadest things I have ever seen on the internet. :think:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Farmer John
Now that HAS to be one of the funniest/sadest things I have ever seen on the internet.
I don't think so. I've worked at a bike shop before and while I understand how to crash a bike, I'm no mechanic. An involvement in the sport or enthusiasm for the sport is all that's needed. Cycle Gear doesn't sell many internal engine parts like you would get at the dealer, just aftermarket stuff (to my knowledge anyway) so you wouldn't need to know specs for the last 15 years' worth of motocrossers and trail machines. Plus, the bulk of their sales that I've seen is accessories and gear--which doesn't require technical knowledge at all. You pick up pretty quick which items have what kind of features to help the customer pick what they want. Plus, what mechanical knowledge is helpful when selling tires, pipes, grips, bars and tripleclamps, etc. is the kind you pick up quickly also. Even at a dealership, most parts-finding software is fairly self-explanatory, especially the new Windows-based systems, so even a mechanical spode like me can help a customer find the right part unless it's a complicated question.

Besides, both male and female customers like seeing women work in the industry--women because we find a new kindred spirit, and men because they ALL like to look at women.

So I don't think that's a funny or sad comment at all.

Now don't get me started on how the same statement applies to the AUTO parts industry . . . :think:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002

Now that HAS to be one of the funniest/sadest things I have ever seen on the internet. :think:

WARNING!! DANGER!! There is a MAN in the Women's Forum stating his OPINION !! :)

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001

Cycle Gear used to be THE place to go and they had everything.
Now due to internal philosophical changes they still have the gear but their service is not quite up to snuff.
I believe THE Princess and FJ are both reffering to recent cycle gear experiences that are frightening due to the lack of knowledgeable help.
When a salesman tells me a powercommander will make my R-1 seem like the difference between a 5.0 and a 302, I can't even imagine bursting his bubble and telling him a 5.0 is a 302, do the math.
I guess I grew up in the Carter years when we had to learn metric conversion.
To the best of my knowledge no ones dissin' genders.
Cycle gear has become, imho, an auto parts style cycle shop.
Whatever happened to Dave Bertram and those sick dr350's anyways?
And, I alos work around the corner from Denise and wanna come on the lunch date, Can I please?

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
SFO, of course, you can join us!
Maybe we can exchange the information about motorcycle dealers, parts shops and so on. I know I don't have to say......all we talk about when we get together is bikes! Right?

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Mini
:)

Last edited:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
bbbom, we will let you know the date.

By the way, where are you living?!

I hope you can get a good deal on your air ticket. ;)

Mini

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
Hello Ladies
This is Buddy- Firelily's pit man.
She has instructed me to say hello and I always do what I'm told-by her!
I think lunch in the City is a great idea. I work close to Princess's work place. And between our locations there are several colorful Mexican Cantinas in the area that would be good for lunch.

Let's get together one day next week before Firelily departs for Japan and talk dirt bikes!!! As I'm at work almost everyday, I'll let you work out a date with Firelily.
Say Princess, can you work out a tour of your shop?

Buddy, AKA the pit man.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Bbbom- We can share a ride from the airport and meet up with these folks for lunch, OK? ... OR maybe we can just charter a plane and pick up LoriKTM and Michelle on our way there too. How about it?!?

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
firecracker,

you have read far more into my statment than I put there.
Cycle Gear used to be the place for M/C information.
SFO hit my thoughts pretty much on the mark.

While I do not expect parts counter people to know exact specs for "my" bike, I do expect at least a little professionalism from behind the counter.

Keep in mind when I was a kid I dreamed of working in a bike shop. I have now lived that dream (20 years worth) & now work behind a desk so I can afford to live (1 wife, 2 mortages, 2 kids, 2 cats, 5 motorcycles.....).

2 examples for you

Cycle Gear San Jose. While looking at close out grafics for my CR I had a salesman go on & on about how a W/B E-series pipe would make my bike rip.
(E-series on a CR 250.....)
Cycle Gear Redwood City.
fj: "I need 2 BR8EG's"
counter person: "which bike?"
fj: "97 CR 250"
cp: "is that a honda?" (I can forgive this, he was a street guy)
fj: "yes"
cp: "what year?"
fj: "97"
cp: "sorry, I only have a listing for 2000 & up" (??????)
fj: "okay, could I get 2 BR8EG's in stead?"
cp: "shure, NGK or ND?"
fj: "NGK's would be fine"

I took me approx. 1/2 hour to get 2 plugs once I hade made contact with this counter person whose name tag said "assistant manager".

I will stop now this was a cool thread until I showed up :think:

Fe_princess, Congrats on the job that is a good group of people to work with!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by CJ Rider
Bbbom- We can share a ride from the airport and meet up with these folks for lunch, OK? ... OR maybe we can just charter a plane and pick up LoriKTM and Michelle on our way there too. How about it?!?

Hey, I'm in! But stop here first before we go get Michelle. I've always wanted to see New Zealand! :confused:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Okay - This is now getting interesting! If we're going to make it a Girls Lunch Day, we might as well fit in a few hours at the Day Spa, what do you say Ladies??

We can do morning pedicures and facials, a little Salt Glow and reflexology, waxing if necessary, then take the limo to lunch in The City? bbbom, if Karl's brother is still here with the plane, can he then fly us down to Santa Barabara? (maybe Aimee will want to come then?) We can have some Cuervo Margaritas on the beach. (We're going to need a voluntary cabana boy for that - Buddy are you still with us?? SFO how about you??)

I say we then wrap up our Girls Day Out with a Broadway show back in SF. Who's up for that!! Michelle, since you're coming all that way, why don't you see if anyone wants to do the Wine Country side trip over the weekend?? Might as well make it worth your while!!

Motololo, bratt, haven't heard from you - are you Nor Cal girls game??

Gee, and to think this all started because Fe Princess got a new job!!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Count me in, but we gotta stop off to pick up someone in Sydney (damn I'm hopeless with names, nick is SicAir), so while we're all there we might as well hit Tasmania & do some riding.
How long is this lunch? 2-3 months? Longer? Sounds good to me lol

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I make a sick margarita.
Snack trays beyond compare as well.
I won't even slow your conversation down by opening my mouth.
SFO, Towel Boy#1.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Now this post is going somewhere...
Buddy, where do you work?
Firelily, when are you going to Japan?
Maybe we could make it friday in case we're having too much fun!
BTW Buddy, of course you can take a tour.
I love my new job!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
By the way, everyone, remember to tell Buddy HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Buddy, I hope you and Firelilly and the kids are out having a good time at Hang Town!

Firelilly, I'm pulling together those "kid friendly" recipes for you to try out, but might not get them emailed to you by this weekend.

Did anyone else go to Hang Town?? I know a few of you did, how about a report????

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Just finishing a busy day.....
7:30 am we left home for Hang Town Super Cross. Wow, James Stewart in 125cc was incredibly faster than anybody else.
The 250cc class was still running, when we left at 2:30. Ricky Carmichael was the lead then.
After coming home we had dinner and a birthday cake for Buddy with his family. Now I am writing this and watching the Surviver.

Princess and SFO, Friday is good for Buddy and me. I'm going to Japan from June 4 to June 12.
GETMETOCA, will you be able to join us? I hope so.....

Mini

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by FireLily

GETMETOCA, will you be able to join us? I hope so.....

I'm sorry you guys! Next week my boss is sending me to Fresno for that seminar "Seven Habits for Highly Effective People". Apparently, I have not been highly effective lately!!! Well, not at work anyway!!! :confused:

You guys have fun, but count me in for next time. Glad to hear you had fun at Hang Town!!!

Top Bottom