New KDX 220 Owner: KX 500 Wheel Question

SpudRider

Sep 22, 2008
I recently bought a 1998, KDX 220. :) This is the third bike in my stable, and the first Kawasaki I have ever owned. After bringing the bike home, I discovered my bike has 43mm, USD forks, which are apparently from the 94-96, KX 500 bike. The first owner installed new fork seals on these forks.

I have obtained the KDX 200 service manual, and the KDX 220 Supplement to that manual. I have also obtained a KDX 220 Owners Manual. In addition, I have obtained a KX 500 Owners Manual, which contains a lot of information regarding fork maintenance. However, the KX 500 Owners Manual does not address changing the front wheel. :whoa:

I also acquired a spare, KX 500 front wheel with this motorcycle. However, I have discovered that the axle is rusted into the axle nut on both my KX 500, front wheels. :yikes: I can change the wheels by removing the axle clamps on both forks. However, I presume the correct procedure is to first loosen the axle clamp bolts on the right fork, and then to unscrew the axle from the axle nut. Am I correct?

In any event, I need to break the axles from the axle nuts before I can inspect the wheel bearings on both my front wheels. Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to accomplish this? Thank you. :)

Spud :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would try soaking it with penetrating oil and then hit it the next day with an impact wrench.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…