GRAHAMSYMCOX

Mar 1, 2004
Hello, Great To See Such Support For One Motorcycle, Must Have Stumbled Onto A Winner Here. I Purchased A 2001 Kdx 220 Late Last Year In Pretty Much New Condition. Managed To Squeak In A Ride Before The Snow Came And Was Pleasantly Suprised At What An Easy Bike It Was To Ride, Particularly In The Trees And Tight Stuff. The Engine Though Seemed To Be Seriously Lacking For A 220 2 Stroke. It Pulled Fairly Well Down Low But Still Felt Choked Up. Yesterday I Just Got Finished Putting The Bike Back Together After A Top End Teardown And Some Modification. After Checking That Everything Had Broken In Nicely I Reassembled The Engine And Performed The Following Few Modifications. Firstly I Cut A Small Window In The Engine Side Of The Belly Section Of The Stock Expansion Chamber And Removed All The Sound Absorbing Material Then Welded The Hole Back Up {very Sanitary}. Next I Changed The Main And Pilot Jets For Leaner Ones. The Altitude Here Is 4000ft+ Above Sea Level . Lastly I Opened Up The Airbox Lid Some. End Result- Wow!! I Took The Bike For A Spin Down The Street And The Front End Would Lift In 2nd & 3rd Gear Just Rolling On The Gas, Very Impressed. Definately Not The Same Bike I Rode Before. Whats More Impressive Is The Outlay Of Cash. $4.99 For Welding Rod, $2.99 For Cutting Disk,
$10.00 For 1 Pilot And Main Jet- Job Done. Cant Wait For Spring! Thank You All For Sharing Your Knowledge Of This Bike. Graham

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Could you email me some pics of the window that you cut in the pipe? I can post them if you want.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Judging From Your Altitude I'm Guessing You Live Around Calgary. What Did You Settle On For Jetting? I'm From Cochrane And Am Looking At Doing The Same Setup.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The thing I was wondering about is the size, shape and location of the window cut into the pipe.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
BRYDEN1 said:
Judging From Your Altitude I'm Guessing You Live Around Calgary. What Did You Settle On For Jetting? I'm From Cochrane And Am Looking At Doing The Same Setup.

I'm from Calgary as well and am interested in the jetting.

- Riverz

GRAHAMSYMCOX

Mar 1, 2004
jetting

BRYDEN1 said:

hi, yes i do live in calgary and ride mainly maclean creek and wypres area. for jetting i went down 10% on the main jet and down one size on the pilot jet . also i have ordered the 2 optional needles that kawasaki offer to see how they are. this is only the start point as i have only ran the bike for a short while but i think it will be pretty close. graham.

GRAHAMSYMCOX

Mar 1, 2004
pipe mod

kmccune said:
The thing I was wondering about is the size, shape and location of the window cut into the pipe.

hi, i cut a square hole approx 5 inch by 5 inch. if you look at the pipe while it is still on the bike, on the inside portion of the belly section of the pipe there is releif to allow for the coolant pipe. this is where i cut the pipe. i made two cuts with a hacksaw using a 32 teeth per inch blade to keep the cut as narrow as possible then the other two cuts were made with a thin dremel sized cutting wheel. by keeping the cuts narrow it made it easier to weld the patch back in. if you look at the pipe by the seams you will see the spot welds that hold the perforated metal sheet to the inside of the pipe. make sure the patch you cut out isnt attached to any of these spot welds. when you get access to the inside of the pipe just peel away the perforated metal and break the spot welds. tidy things up inside with a grind stone then weld the patch back in. graham.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks for the info :^)

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Just curious as to what your main jet was to start with. I ride in the same areas and am running a 135 main with no mods. Nice to meet another fellow kdx'er . Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
In case any one else is interested I plan to do a step by step test for the air box mod and pipe gut starting with a stock bike with clean jetting. As soon as a chinook hits I'll get after it. Will keep you posted.

GRAHAMSYMCOX

Mar 1, 2004
jetting

BRYDEN1 said:
Just curious as to what your main jet was to start with. I ride in the same areas and am running a 135 main with no mods. Nice to meet another fellow kdx'er . Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

the jetting was stock and i went down 10% from there.

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
Pipe Guting procedure log
Intro: It's a nice saturday here in Charlotte and after seeing this thread I thought: why not do the same to my 95 KDX. I can use the extra ooomph the gutted pipe will give. These guys at the forum are great! Why pay $80.00 for an FMF at Weeway? ;) It'll be a wonderfull project and I can use the Dremell tool my wonderfull wife gave me for Xmas. Nice of her!
First Hour: I didn't know I had to cut through the wall and through the mesh wires at the same time. Heck I wonder why these cutting disks keep braking so easy. No problem, having fun and saving $. :cool:
2nd hour: Gosh, What am I doing in the garage on a nice day like this. I hope I can cut this open before I run out of discs.
3rd hour: Why do I have to listen to those idiots at the forum and why in the whole wide world didn't my wife buy me a new pair of boots instead! :|
3rd hour: Freaking plate is finally off. What's there to gut? I guess they meant this mesh. How hard could it be to pull it out?!
4th hour: Geeesh. Stupid mesh! If I tie it to my trucks bumper maybe it'll come out?! :think:
5th hour: Instead of standing there why don't this woman bring me an advill? Did I mention the freaking mesh won't come out? :pissed: What difference a little mesh can make anyway! Great idea Einstein, at this rate it'll only take me 10 hours.At $18.00/hour + supplies that's only $200.00 for a banged up frankenpipe. What a deal! Where's that advill?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom