New Member - Couple Questions

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
My introducton,

Hello all, I have decided to return to off world riding after a 20 year haitus. I am an avid vintage mustanger ((Restore and Race)) ((Decent car mechanic)) in East Tennessee thus the ID FeelinFordy. Last dirtbike prior to this was a KE175 from the late seventies. Several street bikes in the interim.
I picked up a 90 KDX 200 last weekend and put on a few miles around the lakebed. Initial thoughts were lack of lowend torque ((Possibly KIPS)) the exhaust was leaking around the headpipe. The carb pukes gas unless running - ((Float)) The sparkplug was an AC R44XL ((isn't that a Chevy small block plug?)).
Questions:
Did these bikes come with an FMF Gold series pipe stock? Are the two springs all that holds the pipe into the exhaust port?
What is the right spark plug for the bike??
This looks like a great site and thanks for any and all assistance with the Newbie Questions. :ride:

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp? That will tell u alot if you dont have a manual. 2 springs and the bolts on the frame are what holds the pipe in place. No, they dont come stock with a FMF pipe but if you want low end I would go with the FMF Gnarly woods pipe. There are 2 pipes to choose from in the gnarly, 1 is a woods (low end) and 1 is a desert (high end). The spark pug there are 3 I think. 1 is a hot plug 1 normal (stock) and 1 is a cold plug. Look on that link and it will tell ya.

ELF

glisade

Feb 13, 2003
Also from East TN, knoxville. And what's really weird is I met a guy 2 weeks ago who has an older KDX who lives in Oak Ridge and he restores mustangs but he's in his 20's.

Anyway, my pipe was leaking at the same place and I just put a bunch of high temp gasket stuff around the 2 o-rings on the end of the pipe. I have a 97 and I think I use the BR9ES NGK, I think they are either the same or an upgrade to the BR8ES.

eastkdx

Jan 20, 2005
I am also from east tn the tri cities area. Just got my kdx 220 a few weeks ago. :cool Sounds like it may be time to take a look into the top end. Pretty simple. I to took off about 20 years from dirt bike riding getting back into it with my son. :)

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
2wheeler said:
I also live in east TN. Where do you live? I have a 99 200 it calls for a NGK BR8ES plug

I live between Lenoir City and Kingston. Watts Bar is down and I can do some decent riding along the lake bed without loading up in the truck for a good trail. Its a great stress reliever.

I stopped by PEP Boys and got a BR8ES today on my way home. I also have a new front tire and just pulled all the plastic and seat as I have a gripper seat cover due to arrive via big brown on Thursday. A little light mechanical work in my near future, including carb teardown as the float or needle valve is a-miss.

With so many KDXer's in East Tenn Knox/Tri-Cities we should plan a spring outing. My goal this year is to ride across the ORV trail from Tellico to Murphy NC. :aj:

Also see that there is a trail ride at Loretta Lynns place past Nashville that is a popular outing. - Got a little long winded here - sorry and hope to meet some of you guys.
Also I have a MIG welder if you guys break something - you got help.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Howdy guys, I'm also in East TN, Knoxville. I don't get to ride much lately but I love my KDX.

I'm a rookie woods rider, but I belong to the Vol Riders, which contains a diverse group of guys with tons of woods riding experience. They also host many rides and know the Coal Creek area very well, as the clulb maintains most of the single track there.

Check out the website for upcoming events. I'm about to update the website this weekend.

www.volunteerriders.com

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…