New Member of the Torn Rotator Cuff Club

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Crashed climbing hills with a couple buddies. Got almost to the top when I had to try and ghost ride the bike to the top. I didn't manage to get enough push and the bike attacked me coming back down the hill. The Dr at the urgent care says it's definitely a Rotator Cuff Tear, I'm scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow and will most likely get an MRI to find out the extent of the injury. My arm doesn't lift out to the side or in front more than a couple inches, getting my wallet out of my back pocket is a huge chore and I can't even come close to raising my arm. I'm pretty sure that I did the same thing to this shoulder when I was about 19 but didn't have insurance, as I remember it seemed like forever before I could raise my arm without pain and the shoulder never was the same afterwards. None of :aj: for awhile :bang:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Damn, that's no good. Heal up quick, bro!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
That sux bro! Guess Speedy will have do all the work now huh?

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I've got two tears right now. Thought I would need surgery but a couple months of PT really made a difference. If it tears more, I'll go get it fixed. Almost never hurts riding, but bugs me on little things like reaching out to turn off the alarm clock.

Mine hurt bad like yours also, try PT for a month or two before surgery. Good luck, let us know what your MRI says.

Also, I started using a Scotts damper to help absorb any sharp hits. It seems to take a load off my arms and shoulders. One of tendons is at 50% so I'll do what I can to preserve what's left.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sorry Gomer, along with having to work in PA for 2 months which is making me miss DW I now have the shoulder problem and I blew up the hub on my bike last time I rode :)

I am reminded this morning after my appt with the surgeon of why I usually avoid doctors. This guy was mister personality NOT. I have now spent about 8 hours of my life in 2 hospitols, spent a grand total of around 7 minutes with the actual docs, have another appt tomorrow for the actual MRI, another appt Friday to go over the results and of course both of them forced me to do the same agonizingly painful routines which I could have told them what the results were going to be and they tell me what I already knew lol. Almost had the kick the surgeon in the Jimmy when he pushed too fast on my hand.

On the bright side, I actually raised my arm over my head (with intense pain but I did it) last night. Seems like a good sign considering it was only moving a couple inches a few days ago.

Bill, I'll be out of town for work the next couple months so even if they want to do surgery it'll have to wait, I have a GPR damper and love it :)

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Hey, one last tip on that MRI..

Show up with no food in you so if you decide you need the "mood enhancer" you can take it. You'll need a ride home if you do.

I thought I was a tough guy and made it 6" in the tube.

good luck..

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Damn, Eddie - torn rotator cuff's are no fun :|

But that's encouraging news that you were able to lift your arm above your head. When I crashed last year, I had a few partial tears in both the subscapularis and supraspinatus tendons, and I think it took 1.5-2 months to be able to raise my arm above my head on my own.

Good luck with the MRI tomorrow - I hope the results come back better than expected! And hopefully you get a cute physical therapist ;)

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Usually they just put some headphones on you and have to lay still. Shouldn't be any pain unless your claustrophobic. Ed, did you see your doc in St. Louis? I had to go the route of the urgent care center just to get to see someone. I don't get to see the regular ortho til 10/6. It's been slowly getting better but I'd like to get going at the PT but have to wait to see the doc.
Bob

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Yeah I went to an urgent care here in the city, then today saw an orhopedic surgeon, tomorrow is MRI and then Friday another appt. to find out results. I guess they want to make as many appointments as humanly possible lol

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Aww MRI's are fun, they'll probably strap you on a backboard (bad arm against your side), put a big magnetic thingy over your shoulder, put you in a coffin-like object head first, and tell you "DON'T MOVE for 45 minutes or we'll have to do this all over again". Have fun Eddie! :moon:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you're claustrophobic, I guess it could be bad. It didn't bother me, but I can see how it would bother people. It feels tight when you're in there for so long.

I don't know if it's possible for them to play them, but bring some of your own CDs and ask.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
There is no pain. Just being inserted in a long thin tube with a jackhammer type sound a few inches from your head scared me a little (a lot really).

I had to reschedule, they gave me a pill and a little drink. I was laying on the floor 30 minutes later so they felt that I was ready. I closed my eyes and laid in that thing for 45 minutes and slept the rest of the day. No big deal.

Since your shoulder is messed up, you may as well take it, you will feel no pain for a while and when you finally do you probably won't care.

Top Bottom