WLKDX

Dec 7, 2004
I purchased a used 97 220 this winter and on one of the first few rides in very low ambient temps my 220 overheated, while really overrevving it to get up a snow covered hill. It got hot enough to blow out the plastic plug on the left radiator. I just assumed it was a one time deal, as it has been o.k. since in warmer temps.

In the last few weeks at two different enduros in the Northeast, the bike has overheated to the point that it actually blew out a coolant hose on each ride. The first time I figured it was a weak hose, but after the second time I need to figure out what is going on.

I believe I may have caused my own problems, as I installed a stock 200 35mm carb jetted 45/155 and maybe I am running lean. Could a lean condition get the bike hot enough to blow a hose? The bike has a pipe, drilled air box top, Boyeson reeds.

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
On my 98 KDX220, I use Red Line "Wetter Water" though I have heard great things about Evans NGP which raises the boiling point to about 370F. I also installed two computer fans on one of my radiators and wired it into the High Beam light. I haven't had any boil overs since. I ride in the Tropics (Caribbean Island).

WLKDX

Dec 7, 2004
Well I found out what the problem was, i'm happy but feel pretty dumb. After pulling the top end and finding all was well, inspecting the water pump impeller and changing the seal, running engine ice, water wetter and ordering Evans NPG (but didn't get a chance to try it). I found out that the radiator cap was not releasing pressure, changed 10.00 cap, all is well.
That was a very expensive lesson, I had been reading all the 220 overheating threads and expected the worst, overlooked the basics.

Top Bottom