yorinda

Mar 13, 2004
Since there is no temp gauge, how does the rider know if the bike is getting too hot? Can damage be done to the bike if it sits at idle for a long time, or is there something that will shut it off automatically before damage is done? And finally, if you are buying a used bike, how can you tell if it has been damaged by overheating? Thanks to everyone for any light you can shed on these questions.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I'd look for a warped head/coolant leak (assuming a water cooled bike). You know it's too hot if it's losing coolant though an overflow hose. That assumes that the radiator cap is holding proper pressure...the RADIATOR coolant level will be significantly down after each ride. My '95 200 always would drop the level in the overflow tank during each ride. I'd always refill it to the proper level, but it would disappear each ride. I removed the tank altogether and the radiator has never overflowed. The radiator level is always up at the top after each ride and I don't think I've ever lost more than 5 drops out of the hose. I've read simular stories concerning the coolant level in the overflow tank on this forum.

Top Bottom