Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Got to work today and sitting in front of my office was two boxes full of KDX parts and KX 80 parts. Got my new skid plate and Rad guards, Delta V-Force 2 reed cage for the 96 KDX & brake pads, Rad valve, and new graphics for my son's KX 80. Its gonna be a fun weekend work on the bikes - Going riding on Monday
:yeehaw:

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Sounds like a good plan. I just got my 98 model back from Fredette-new wiseco piston, ported, head milled, FMF fatty rev pipe, boysen dual reed, new X-ring chain, etc... It's going to be 38 degrees here (PA) by Monday so it's time to get out! Hey, I used to ride in OKC (1977-1980) while I lived out there. Can you still ride at Lake Draper? How about the 29 street MX track? I rode with the guys and was part of the Mid-Del MX team (Montesa 360 and later Maico 400). If you know Howard from Mid-Del, say hi for me. Have a ball riding and good luck with the maintenance.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Put the V-Force 2 reed cage on tonight (couldn't wait). Took it for a test ride around the yard. WOW! WOW! WOW!
That thing really makes it come to life. The Best $135 Mod. ever.

Mike, 29th street MX park moved to SW 59th Street by Tinker Air Force Base. Practice every Tuesday and Thursday - Races on Sat. & Sunday. As for Draper, It's still going strong. We ride their most of the time and in the Summer we are on the Wake Board behind the good old Cobalt. Lake Draper has it all!!!

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that you can still ride at Draper and that the track is still going strong. Someday I hope to get back to that area and look up old friends for some good times and riding of course. It sounds like you're going to be real happy with the mods you made-have fun. It's got to be a blast to have your family involved in the sport-talk about fun family time! I just got my 11 year old an XR80 and as soon as the temperature gets above 35 or 40 here, we're going to hit the trails too. Now if I could just find an old Husqvarna automatic for my wife...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
kdx what? 200 or 220?

Did you set your DFII reeds to hi or lo tension? They likely came out of the box on 'hi'. Leave 'em there if you're in 4-6 gear most of the time. If you're in 1-3 most of the time, change them to lo. At least give it a try. The instructions say that hi is best for most every application that was tested. I guarantee their testing didn't include much if anything in the way of technical single track.

Another happy DFII user! Great!!

BTW...moto tassinari makes the DF for minis, too. Did you check that before you opted for the radvalve on the kx?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
It's a 96 KDX 200. I did read about the tension when i install them. I left them on high tension. I thought I would give them a try their first. the trails I ride loop into a fairly long grass track and into the MX track. So I am running in high 3rd to 5th gear alot. the doubles on the track take 4th and the grass track you can get almost wide open. I rode yesterday (it was 62 degrees) and it was awesome. The response was night and day from the stock reed cage.

I did look at the DF for the KX 80, I would have had to get a new stock carb boot aswell. And the Rad valve vs. the boot and DF was just to much. Plus my son is still a beginner on the KX and I didn't want it to get to crazy for him yet. I did, however, replace the 28mm stock carb. with a 26mm carb. and rad valve. It really brought the powerband down to a much lower and easy rideable band. For an 89 KX 80 it runs like a top now.

Thanks for the information. I may try the DF in low tension too.

Top Bottom