rogermartin

Jul 24, 2002
Hello all, after checking out this web-site I went out and got a new left over 01 KDX200 I did the prescribed break in proceedure but a new piston or tear down to scrub carbon? is it that important? I am starting to like this bike. last bike= 94 XR600, I am 49Yrs. 6` 230lbs this bike is big fun I am adapting to this 2-stroke, my neighbor went out and got a clean used 98, thanks all for this forum!! any ideas? thanks Roger.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Good choice!
new piston? not really! expect several seasons of use before a top end is required. You can run a comp test now and check it periodically to assess the condition of the top end. kdx's run lower compression ratios and pistons and rings last a long time.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Roger, you seem to be referring to the manual's suggested teardown & inspect for scuffing. I don't think most KDX owners have done that. I didn't - just a few heat & cool cycles, some easy rides, and let 'er rip.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
New piston after break in?

You bet!!! Absotively!! Posilutely!!

Break-in on my 200 took about 2 years! ;)

There are gobs of other things you HAVE to do to a new bike.

Grease it for one. The shock linkage needs to be completely disassembled and regreased. The steering stem needs to come out to grease the tapered rollers.

Not a bad idea to grease your wheel bearings, too.

Oh...don't forget the swingarm.

Ride it like it came off the boat, and I gar-un-dam-tee you'll be replacing bearings in both your uni-trak and your steering before you should have to!!

Not a bad idea to take of the OEM junk chain from the git-go. Put on an X-ring, and you'll save yourself $70-80 for a set of sprockets in 3 months.

Set your race sag. If you don't know about that, ask?

Replace your fork springs. You should be good for about .42s. Preload to 10mm.

...and you thought it was time to go riding........!!!;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom