New piston small end bearings and rings!

Sep 23, 2002
to find out if u have been useing enough oil is to let the motor rest. then spin the crank useing the rod, and see if there is oil on there. if there isnt oil then make sure u change your gas mixture leaner. (more oil less gas) sorry if it doesnt make sence, let me know if u dont understand.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
96717, is this what a crank would look like if a person tried to run 100:1 or something like that? Would it look different if it were just lean jetting???

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The piston has alot of blowby-not surprising really-the big end looks like its about to seize-that blue on the crank is scary-i would get a new rod kit/main bearings/seals/top end and have the cylinder checked to see if the plating is ok.

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
What brand oil have you been mixing at 50:1? I'm not selling anyones oil, it's good to know what happens in the real world with different brands. 32:1 is actually leaner than 40:1 because more oil is used in 32:1 and the oil does not burn. It lubricates and is blown out the exhaust. If the sparkplug and combustion chamber temp are not hot enough the oil is not vaporized and stays liquid through the exhaust and out the back of the pipe.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Leaner.. On oil yes 50:1 has less oil then 32:1. But on the other hand it's making your fuel-air mixture richer. Give that the volume of a cylinder is constant at BDC (Bottom Dead Center) .. with the same jetting the air density being equal.. The cylinder with the 50:1 ratio will have more fuel to air (richer) then the same cylinder exact cylinder with the 32:1 ratio pumped in to it(leaner). The amount of oil that is needed to lubricate the bearings is effected by the load excreted on the motor. Some one that is slow trail riding will not need as much oil as the same guy that rails the local track. Then you get into the whole natural Vs. synthetic thing but that a entirely new/old thread.... Hope that helps some. It's a widely misunderstood concept in the whole lean/rich jargon on 2-strokes. ;)

Top Bottom