Mar 16, 2006
Hey i have a 97 honda xr 100 and i was wondering if i needed a new piston ring set because it smokes really bad and its a 4 stroke and another thing is that it leaks gas through a tube when i try to start it. One day i tryed to start it again and now the kickstarter wont even budge!

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
You may need a new piston and rings, but it could also be a bad valve seal, a bad gasket or worn or cracked parts that are letting oil leak into the chamber and be burnt. Without tearing it down, measuring some parts and inspecting the engine, you cannot be sure why it is doing it. Throwing parts at a problem often solves it, but you often don't knwo which one solved it, and spend more money than if you troubleshoot the problem and determine the cause first, then fix it and any other issues you notice.

The fuel pissing out the overflow line, is a problem with the carb inlet needle and or float. The needle isn't sealing and shutting off the flow of fuel. The needle could be worn or dirty, the float could be set too low or punctured, or the float pin could have come out of the float and carb body. You will have to tear the carb down to determine why. You might as well clean it out with carb cleaner while you are in there.

The smoking could also be excessive fuel due to the non-sealing float. You only said it was smoking, not that it was oil smoke.

As to why it won't turn over, it could be a variety of things, inlcuding hydrolocking, a bent valve, tossed cam chain, and others. You'll have to figure out which. Start by pulling the plug and trying to turn it over with your hand on the kickstarter. That will give you a better idea of why it won't turn over.

The cure might be simple, but you're going to have to start by fixing the carb, and getting the engine turning over. After that, you can see where you are at.

Top Bottom