allmud13

Feb 8, 2010
hey everyone im new to the bike scene

i just bought a 1996 DR200 to work on in my spare time. It pretty much needs to be completely taken apart and cleaned up and some stuff needs to be replaced. I know the engine turns over so i think thats not a problem area. I know i have to get a new started solenoid and rewire just about everything. What else should i look for so that I can make sure everything works properly and wont get messed up later. Thanks

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Just because the engine turns over doesnt mean the engine is good. Ive done what you are about to attempt...my advise would be to buy a bike that runs. You can buy that same bike (that runs and needs minimal repair) on Craigslist all day for $800-$1000. You will likely spend alot of time and money on that bike by the time you are done...probably more than it is worth.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
All dirt bikes are money pits. I have known VERY few people in near 40 years, who have ACTUALLY made a profit on a used dirt bike. I do not know your DR at all, but I know the line. Get a shop manual, and hopefully you already have tools and know your way around. Fresh, that bike should last a really long time, with the proper maintenance and usage. Vintage Bob

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
"All" is an over generalization...maybe "Most dirt bikes are money pits" is a more accurate statement. I have a nice XR400 that I can probably sell for exactly what I have in it. I also bought a 2004 Husqvarna TE250 that needed work (cracked case repaired with JB Weld) for $850 then sold it for $1350.

Is this guy capable of doing the work himself?...that is the question. Buying a bike of that caliber with multiple problems is a money pit waiting to happen, but not all bikes are money pits.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nothing makes me madder than finding jb weld as a repair on a used bike. And the previous owner fails to mention this! A rant, not knowing about yours personally YZ rider? So you were able to get a new case, or a pair, or weld it? Now add in your labor at 60 to 90 dollars an hour. Not everyone can do things their selves? All, was not the entire story, the next sentence does cover the few that do actually MAKE money. Covering your wages does not count. As if you had to take it to the Husky dealer to fix it. Vintage Bob

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Great a new TV program! "Flip This Bike" :laugh:

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
$60 to $90 per hour...that is very flattering, but my time isnt worth near that much. I enjoy working on bikes, as long as I have a running bike to ride. Actually, I fully disclosed the crack in the case and the fact that it was JB Welded (in the ad and again when the guy came to look at the bike)...it was hard to miss. The guy claimed that he could weld aluminum and he would fix it right. I hope for his sake, he was right because the cases are about a grand from Husqvarna. I am an honest person to a fault and disclose any mechanical issues I am aware of to anyone buying anything I sell. By the way, JB Weld is very much under-rated. I have made many repairs with JB Weld that have held for years.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Back to the DR. Allmud, it sounds like you are somewhat committed at this point. I would realistically assess my mechanical ability and proceed from there. If the bike needs an engine rebuild and electrical work, I would personally run like hell, but that is my opinion. If the bike needs some small repairs here and there that you can handle, I say fix it and enjoy the bike. Speaking from experience, if you are looking for a cheap bike, it is best to buy one that runs...that way it is easier to assess repairs. I really have to know...how much did you pay for the bike?

allmud13

Feb 8, 2010
My mechanical skills r pretty good. I have a 1995 Toyota Landcruiser that I have been modifying. I kno enough about things with wheels to keep me going. I paid 150 for the bike. I had a friend of mine come over and he took a look and the engine runs fine. From the looks of it the wiring needs to be redone, some connections look ok but i think just to make sure everything works i should do it over again. I started taking it apart and I think that something might be bent cause it looks a little off. If i strip it down and go to a bike shop is that something that can be straightened out or major fix. Thanks for the help

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The crank end seems bent? Check into parts availability for the main and rod kits while its out, a 96 should be readily available. It should not be a big deal for a qualified shop to true the crank. Knowing its got a fresh bottom and top end is the ticket, and of course check the tranny and clutch. Cheap, true the crank and inspect everything. Dang near inDestRuctible. Vintage Bob

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Are you saying that the frame is bent? What exactly is bent? If the bike runs and you bought it for $150...that may not be a bad start. If necessary, you might be able to find a wiring harness cheap on Ebay or somewhere else on the internet.

allmud13

Feb 8, 2010
Yeah i think the frame is bent. Everything else seems to be straight except the back end. The handlebars are bent 2 but I already have a replacement on the way. It also need some carb work. Are there any kits that exist??

Thanks

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
If the subframe is bent, you may be able to heat it with a torch and bend it back...it really depends on how bad it is. You can buy carb kits all over the internet, or go to your local Suzuki dealer. You might try giving the carb a good cleaning.

allmud13

Feb 8, 2010
The bend doesnt look to bad but when the rear wheel is on you can see thats its a little off. It doesnt seem like a huge problem, im sure if i were to jst leave it and i never went over 30 mph then it would be fine but im sure doing anything over that would be a problem. Also whats the best way to clean up the frame, some of the paint is chipped off and i was gonna take it to a local shop and get it powder coated.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I stripped a mountain bike frame a few years ago with chemical paint stripper. It worked fairly well. If you use it, be very careful. You could have it sandblasted, but that would cost you more money. If it were me, Im not sure I would bother powdercoating a 14 year old bike unless I was planning on completely restoring it. It is very easy to get more money tied up in a bike than it is worth. I speak from experience.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom