New R&D KTM is..... A DIESEL ?

EZ

Jul 18, 2001
New R&D KAW is..... A DIESEL ?

Yer In The Army Now

Stumbled across this and thought you guys might be interested. Seems the US military has R&D'ed a diesel motorcycle based on a Kaw. The link below is to a video link of someone riding it around. Looks WAY heavy (military motorcycle trademark) and way slow. They're claiming 24HP and great low-end power. BTW, I did a couple of searches and didn't find a post on this. But if this is a repetitive post, delete it please.

http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/video/m1030m1_diesel_motorbike.shtml

Last edited:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Kinda neat to see a diesel bike in action. I rode the diesel Polaris 4 wheeler the other day. It ran great, however it was very noisy and had a low top speed. The addition of a turbo would help.

Chris

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Currently the U.S. Millitary is using diesel KLR650's mainly for courier and field scouting. The reason for diesel fuel is so they only have to carry one type of fuel into the field. KLR 250's were used during Desert Storm and two significant problems occured:
1) Some fuel depots did not stock any gasoline, thus rendering the bike useless once it ran out of gas.
2) Several incidents where the diesel was dumped into the tank on the KLR thus rendering the bike useless.

Murf

Dec 31, 2000
According to the video, the bike is based on a KLR 650, not a KTM. Where did the part about the KTM roots come from?:silly:

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
With all the money they are saving with buying cheap Diesel instead of gasoline, they might even be able to afford a decent video camera!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Landmine scouts for the Armour. :eek:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ya' know if they were out in dairy land they could get some of those stupid LBZ cow pants and blend in.:confused:

KPmotoman

Oct 21, 2001
Yeah, diesel engines make great horsepower, about 110,000 out of a 14 cylinder, but there is one problem. They're made for ships and have bores of about a meter in diameter. Sorry, it would be totally useless on a motorcycle, they're too heavy and don't like dirt.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by KPmotoman
Sorry, it would be totally useless on a motorcycle, they're too heavy and don't like dirt.
It's the logistics of it. Diesel is more readily available in the field. Now, with a diesel bike, everything in the motor pool runs on the same fuel!

Actually, if it was a turbine, it would be able to run on purt near anything.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by KPmotoman
Yeah, diesel engines make great horsepower, about 110,000 out of a 14 cylinder, but there is one problem. They're made for ships and have bores of about a meter in diameter. Sorry, it would be totally useless on a motorcycle, they're too heavy and don't like dirt.
First - I assume you're talking about Sulzer's, since you're at the Academy. Better recheck your figures, both bore size and HP.

Second - We're not talking about a dirtbike that's competing in SX or enduros. The KLR is a multi-purpose bike that is extremely depedable. The millitary version does not weight any more than one off the showroom floor. The basic engine has been modified to run on diesel fuel. Other "non-essential" components have been removed to keep the weight down.

Third - No engine likes dirt, gas, diesel, steam, etc., but what type of engine do you usually find in off-highway vehicles (bulldozers, backhoes, skid-steers, etc.)? That's right, diesel!

Fourth - Patman, why is this still in the Euro forum? :scream:

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I wonder what the torque figures there are for the bike? With a top speed of 80 mph and a fuel economy of 170 mpg the bike don't sound too shabby for it's intended purpose, if I heard the video correctly.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
For more info on the PIG http://www.drive.cranfield.ac.uk/news_1.htm

The bike is designed to run on JP8 and #2 diesel, with 33ft pounds of torque.

Hayes Diversified Technologies from Hesperia, Ca is one of the contrators for the Marine Corps current KLR 650 and the diesel pig.

Before the 650 we rode the KLR 250.....

Check out the size of that rear sprocket:eek:

Rick

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The stock KLR 650 makes about 28 HP at the rear wheel and will top out at about 100 MPH at sea level. Mine hits the wall at about 90 at altitude (7,000-9,000 feet). The last tank rendered me 56 mpg.

The oil burner would probably dyno out at around 21 at the rear wheel, fully capable of the 80 mph stated. Anyone who rides a KLR knows its greatest asset besides durabity and versatility: its great low end chugging capability. Making it a diesel will just improve one of its greatest assets.

Hey, if I could get one tomorrow there would be one in the garage tomorrow evening.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
What amazes me is that you guys actually could see well enough to distinguish the brand of gear. I couldn't even tell if he was wearing pants... :confused:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by MR.WR
The bike is designed to run on JP8 and #2 diesel...
Rick, a diesel engine can run on it's own lube oil. Of course they don't stay in one piece very long if that happens. :eek:

gulliver

May 4, 2001
24HP from 28HP isn't a very big drop for the change to deisel, I would guess the stock number be higher.

I can see the military using the KLR650 because it is cheap, liquid cooled, and proven. I can't believe they were using the KLR250. I was looking into buying this bike before I knew better (wound up with KTM 640 LC4). It has thin, low quality parts and has low power.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by gulliver
24HP from 28HP isn't a very big drop for the change to deisel, I would guess the stock number be higher.

Gulliver, be careful comparing crank and rear wheel HP. The KLR gas bruner is more like 32 crank compared to the oil burner's stated 24 crank. 28 at the rear wheel is about right for the gas burner.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom