Jmollari

Jul 19, 2009
I just started riding alot this year and was wondering why my arms feel really strained after riding the track, almost feels like their throbbing. I ride very aggressive for my lack of experience trying to catch to my friends abilities, only other experience is on my friends bikes and a couple clapped out beaters that I only got to work on lots and never really rode. Am I riding way to tense and need to work on loosening up a bit or is this normal for a rookie?

Also wondering what the deal is with clutching when shifting. So many mixed opinions. I dont have a huge budget so I really dont want to reck my bike. Some say MX bikes only need the clutch to start and to feather off power when needed. Some say that you will blow your trans in a year riding it hard and not clutching. I always rape my bike, it's always gas on or nothing so I guess some major damages are expected right?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The more experience you get, the less effort it will take to ride. When you are learning you are fighting the bike and having to react to what it does. Later, you will start to move in anticipation of what the bike will do and it will require less effort. You will also learn when you can relax your grip on the bars and that will help a lot, too.

There are a full range of opinions regarding how much clutch usage is required and/or detrimental to the bike. Fast guys on 125s have to slip the clutch a lot to keep the RPMs up where the power is. Slow guys on 450s rarelyneed to use the clutch.

What bike are you riding?

Jmollari

Jul 19, 2009
Im riding a 2004 KX250 with full FMF exhaust and boysen reeds so its got some decent power. It actually fends pretty well with some of the 450's I ride with.

rydekx125

Aug 9, 2009
i have the same problem about my arms. What i have read about though is that the key to staying relaxed is to turn with your knees and feet. You always want to ride to your skill level as well because if you try to go beyond your lvl, you tend to wear out your body easier. Trust me i had that same mistake:)

Jmollari

Jul 19, 2009
Yeah, I think being patient will pay off. It seems when I go down, well I go down pretty good compared to my experienced friends little tumbles. I always try to use my legs as much as possible but I think I have to hit the gym this winter because I burn them up pretty quick. I don't think I could survive a 10-15min moto and i'm in pretty good shape. But like you said staying in your skill level is key.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Jmollari said:
I always rape my bike,

Mate you shouldn't rape anyone or in your case anything, seriously though I'm in the same boat can't get enough riding in for the fitness to go up so will have to start exercising.

Feb 26, 2006
I used to get "arm pump" when I rode for more than a few minutes, but as I got more comfortable on a bike I noticed I didn't wear out as easy. One of the most beneficial things I have learned is to focus to keep breathing. Many riders almost hold their breathe while riding, I always catch myself doing it, which causes your muscles to work less efficiently from lack of oxygen. Another thing I learned is to keep my elbows out so you use more muscles in your arms and chest. The best exercise for riding is riding.

Top Bottom